Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought a notebook computer online and it came with a pirated version of windows vista home basic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 themeat

themeat

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

I bought a fujitsu s6231 notebook computer. It had a non-valid copy of windows vista. I want to install a copy of Windows XP Pro, so it is back to its RTM state. But when I boot from the disk, it says it cant read the disc or the disc is not a genuine Windows disc. I can assure you it is valid. so I researched and came to the conclusion that i need to wipe the hard drive and boot from the disc again. Am I correct? i also downloaded all the drivers I need, but how will i install these drivers on the notebook? unfortunately, I cannot get my money back for the notebook. I would appreciate any advice on this, I think Im going to use Darik's Noot and Nuke to wipe the hard drive and start over, is this a good idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

use a flash drive and install the drivers and i dont think boot and nuke is necesary you can if you want but when you reinstall windows it will format it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

I have had little to no experience with Vista but I think you will need something other than the XP disk to be able to delete the Vista partition. I had a computer that I installed Win 7 RC1 on but when I wanted to install XP on that disk I had to first boot off the Win 7 disk to be able to delete the partition and be able to proceed with the XP install.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

i have never had a problem with that even when going from win.7 to XP.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 themeat

themeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

I have had little to no experience with Vista but I think you will need something other than the XP disk to be able to delete the Vista partition. I had a computer that I installed Win 7 RC1 on but when I wanted to install XP on that disk I had to first boot off the Win 7 disk to be able to delete the partition and be able to proceed with the XP install.

Welll the problem Im having is, I dont have an official Windows XP disc, I have one that I created using an existing Windows XP installation, and Im using a serial key that ive had for quite a while. the setup utility is asking for a valid full version installation disc. so Im trying to get ahold of one right now, and well see if thats the problem. I also already wiped the hard drive. well see what happens, thanks for all your help guys!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 - 145.99

#7 themeat

themeat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 - 145.99

unfortunately good sir, I have already purchased that disc about two years ago, I just lost the disc, not the package. I guess the point is moot now because I found the disc late last night. I appreciate all the help guys, sorry to trouble you. problem solved!

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Glad you found the Disk happy Computing/Installing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users