Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound trouble.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LoRin

LoRin

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:26 AM

The speakers on my laptop aren't working. Sometimes it pings if theres some sort of error message, but other than that, nothing. When I put a cd in I can see it start up but I can't hear anything. I went through troubleshoot and tried to fix it but it still didn't work.

Any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:32 AM

More info would be nice. Make and model number of the laptop, operating system and the status of Devices in Device Manager, particularily Sound, Video and Game controllers and any others with an exclamation or question mark. Have you recently added or removed any hardware or software?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 LoRin

LoRin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

Is there some place I can find all that info? Sorry, I'm computer illiterate.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:37 AM

I'm sorry LoRin sometimes I get so wrapped up in what I'm doing I forget that not everybody has the same skill levels when it comes to PC's and Laptops. The entire premise for this website is to help anyone who comes along, regardless of their skill level. Please accept my apologies.

If you could tell us what the Make and Model of your Laptop is that would be a good start. Is it a major brand name like Toshiba or HP/Compaq or IBM or something? Look underneath for a model number. Knowing that would enable us to find the software you might need to get your sound going again.

You mention pings. Those can be important messages from your basic input ouput system. Do they have any pattern? For instance, they could be one long ping and two short ones. Thats just an example but if you notice them can you tell us what they are?

Do you know if you have Windows XP or Windows 2000 for your operating system? That is helpful to know. Have you recently added the operating system?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 kalyankg

kalyankg

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:14 AM

HI, I agree with Leurgy, we need to have the model no and the make from, so that we can search for the appropriate software/hardware configurations, n help u in solving the sound problem.

#6 LoRin

LoRin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:00 PM

Thats okay.

Now, my computers a very old hand-me down. Its a Sager.

They have two different numbers on the bottom, one says Battery Pack over it so I'll give you the other. The number is N8009E5P06696. Im not sure if I'm reading the right number though. I have Windows XP professional on this computer.

Oh and the pings(the ones I've noticed) come just one at time, and are kinda short, though I can't recall what I was doing the last time I heard one.

I hope this helps some, and thank you for your help so far.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 08:52 PM

Can you tell us the operating system? If its old is it Windows 95? 98?

If you go to Start then Settings then Control Panel and double click System do you see any excamation marks or question marks on the devices?

#8 LoRin

LoRin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

I looked in the controll panel and, I think the operating system is windows XP. In device manager theres a red X over ATI WDM bt829 video. Does that help any?

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

That would be your video. It seems to be disabled for some reason so lets not do anything with that yet.

Right click the My Computer icon and look under the General tab. That will show your operating system, CPU type and Ram. Can you let us know those three things?

Download and run Belarc Advisor and when its done, post back with your Motherboard make and model, your Sound, Video and Game controller and your Display Adapter.

Is this a laptop?

Edited by Leurgy, 24 September 2005 - 01:06 PM.

#10 LoRin

LoRin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

OMG. I feel so terrible. I havn't been on for a while cause we moved and then we had to wait(forever it seemed) for the only cable/internet provider here(we live in a little town now, I'm talking microscopic) to come turn the internet on.

I'm so sorry I havn't been back sooner. I would've if I could've. I'm trying to catch up now.

Now I'm about to go back and read the advice everyones given, and try to follow it.

Again, realy, really, sorry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users