Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me pls, windows 7 lost my file

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AhrenFox

AhrenFox

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

Help Please,

I am running Window 7 ultimate 32bit, on a Dell Inspiron 1750, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD.

I was moving a folder from my desktop to my C: drive and when I pasted it is not there. I normally dont cut and paste but there was alot of data and did not want to copy and paste just to have to delete a large folder that I copied. I have run a couple of search programs and the Program "everything" shows it to be in C: but when I click on it it says that I might not have the appropriate permissions to access this folder. My question then is will system restore get back my folder, where in computer limbo is my folder and can I find it. I have backed up my computer but not with this folder and that was exactly what I was going to do after I moved my folder and did a couple of other maintenance's. Is there help, and I am on a tight budget so I dont know about purchasing programs. Is there help. Thank You for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:53 PM

so when you click on it a window comes up that says you may not have permission to access this folder? what options does the window give you?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

will system restore get back my folder

No, system restore deals with system files only.

when I click on it it says that I might not have the appropriate permissions to access this folder

Take ownership of it: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-menu-in-vista/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

so when you click on it a window comes up that says you may not have permission to access this folder? what options does the window give you?

The window that opens says,"Windows can not access the specific device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I did download and install "take ownership", but when I right click on the folder I dont get any options, there is a .ink folder listed below it and when I click on it all that says is that it is a short cut that can not be found and if I click the yes button would I like to delete it. I have not clicked Yes as I dont want to loose any thing

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

Are you sure, this is the folder, you're looking for?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

Are you sure, this is the folder, you're looking for?

Yes, I was moving my "My Stuff" (about 157MB) Folder from my Desktop to my C: drive, I cut and pasted, nothing showed up in my C: folder, nothing was on my Desktop. I used the "Everything" App to find where my folder was just in case I clicked on some other folder and pasted there, "Everything" shows that "My Stuff" is in "C:My Stuff" but when I click on it it give me that error that "Windows can not access the specific device......." I don't know how to access the limbo portion of my computer and pull my folder back out (should I burn some sage or other incense by my computer? ha ha).

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

Check Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

Broni and all,

I downloaded and installed the "Recuva" program and am currently running it, says estimated time left 3 hours so I will keep you posted. Thank you for all the help thus far.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

Keep us posted :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

Well folks for all of you who are waiting and counting the minutes as they tick tick tock away, 3 + hours has passed and Recuva is still working, current progress is 27% and estimated time of 9 more hours. I wish I was giving better news but alas the wait must continue. I will keep us posted as to what ends may come. So I believe it would be safe to say that my next post will be in the AM, so till then, thank you again.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

We'll be around :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

All right, after hours of waiting and playing around with "Recuva" I was able to recover all of my folder. Thank You Broni for the link, very handy app. So all is right in the world again (for a little bit anyway). Thanks again.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:40 AM

Excellent news! :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users