Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Potential TDSS Rootkit - Unable to Access Services.exe, Windows Installer Problems and no Win Updates!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Gingerninja106

Gingerninja106

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to help!

Firstly, I'm running a Toshiba Satellite with Vista Home Premium 32-bit and sp2..

About a week ago I started experiencing redirects when clicking on links through Google. I understood from searches this was the dreaded TDSS Rootkit which seems to be sweeping the nation at the moment. Fortunately I seemed to have been able to remove it, as my searches are no longer tainted (though for the life of me I don't remember what i did, so many different things tried!). Unfortunately, I now seem to be having a seperate issue which I'm unsure whether it is a result of me 'fiddling' with system settings too much or the TDSS still has a hold on me.

Average 6 out of 10 times in the past week, when shutting down my computer, it has hung at the Logging Off or Shutting Down screen and will not shut down. In the same instances where this is happening, when trying to install/uninstall a program I receive an error from Windows Installer stating "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.". Clearly a very helpful message if you work in an office with a deicated IT department!

I searched this on Google and found this could be a problem with the entry in Services.msc and could be amended simply by changing the setting to 'Manual'. The unfortunate part is when attempting to access Services.msc from the run command, I receive the error "The system encountered the following error while reading the list of services on : Error 14: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation" which shows up twice, then reveals a blank services screen. As previously stated, both Windows Installer and Services.msc are accessible at the same time as my computer will shut itself down, however on other occasions (such as I type this now) I am receiving these errors therefore when i come to shut my computer down it will hang on the Shutting Down screen.

In addition to the above, and the thing that concedes me to believe a virus is at work, is my inability to Windows Update. When I attempt to manually check for updates (I have set the system to automatically download new updates however it hadn't seemed to be doing this), I receive the error "Windows could not search for new updates. Error(s) found: Code 8007006D - Windows Update encountered an unknown error.".

I would be forever grateful if someone could help spare me re-formatting the OS.

Thanks

Mike

EDIT: Additionally, I've just searched the Windows Update error code and someone else receiving this message was told to follow this link to reset Windows Updates components http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058#FixItForMeAlways however when I try this, it attempts to run Windows Installer which I'm not currently able to do as receiving the aforementioned error. I'll stop any further meddling until I receive a response!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 April 2010 - 04:28 PM.
Move to AII as no logs posted. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users