Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"STOP: C0000218 ... Registry cannot load the hire file... corrupt, absent ... physical memory dump complete..."

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LainaDaina

LainaDaina

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

We bought a rebuild ... Dell, Intel Pent 4 @ 2.8GHz, 1 GB RAM. 80 GB HDD, Win XP Pro. This is not the first time we've done this, but this time things didn't go so well.

We hooked it up to the router to get it going ... disconnected it and it didn't pick up the wireless signal, so we reconnected it to get the stuff needed to get it going. We thought we'd get it all ready and worry about the router later ... other devices in the house caught the router's signal, so one bridge at a time .. (Any ideas with that?)

First thing, we went to filehippo and downloaded and installed: AVAST, CCleaner,Flash AND Open Office and the necessary JAVE runtime deal OO requires. THen, we resterted it. My daughter insisted we go back to filehippo to download iTunes. I did. While there, I also downloaded Adobe Reader.

Then we went to microsoft.com to get updates .. there were only 3. I was feeling pretty good about how fast it was all going. Then, we went back to filehippo to get the media player upgrade. WHILE the media player was downloading, the computer all of a sudden 'died,' the green "I am on" light was a bright yellow and the monitor said that it detected no input. We had to unplug it from the wall to start it back up.

We chose normal startup and it went to the XP screen, then we got this mesage:

"STOP:C0000218 {Regostry File Failure}
The Registry cannot load the hive (file):
/SystemRoot/ system32/config/SOFTWARE
or its log or alternative.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physcial memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support for futher assistance."

If we turn it off and back on, safe mode or other choices advance to this same message.

The firewall was enabled.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Take a look at Corrupt Hive.

Louis

#3 LainaDaina

LainaDaina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

I looked over the link and I have concluded that this one is beyond me because we don't have the disks. So, I don't know what to do, but take it back. Perhaps they can zap it back. I wonder if maybe they failed to include something ... because if it happens again ... well, that is just HOW it goes.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

If you mean that you don't have the XP Recovery Console on CD...see How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/ .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users