Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to run XP in safe mode?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

I did a search but there are so many threads and I am too tired to look through them all to find this answer.

I just posted about an issue with my renewal/upgrade of AVG 9.0 in the firewall/antivirus, etc. forum. and while I wait for an answer I thought I could try to do something in safe mode. I am thinking that uninstalling AVG internet security software and reinstalling it might solve my issues as I've had problems ever since the renewal/upgrade. and now the XP security scans start automatically. if I start in safe mode, can I turn off those automatic scans? that's my thinking at the moment but really not sure. I got a reply from AVG and they want screeen shots, but how am I going to do that without any internet security? oh, forgot to mention that AVG isn't even loading any more :thumbsup: I am in a pickle....

any help would be greatly appreciated. really just looking for how to turn on my machine in safe mode and will wait an answer to my other post.....thanks.

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 11 April 2010 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

hold in the f8 key and turn on the computer

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

How to start Windows in Safe Mode - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...#force_safemode

Louis

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

thank you.

#5 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

does anyone also know how to turn off the automatic XP scans? many thanks.....

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

<<...and now the XP security scans start automatically>>

I think some of us assumed that you were talking about AV scans...perhaps you need to clarify. What is the onscreen message when these scans begin?

There are no "XP security scans" done by Windows...but there is a form of malware known as XP Security and other things, see Google List

If you have malware on your system, we will transfer you to a more appropriate forum for dealing with those issues.

Louis

#7 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

<<...and now the XP security scans start automatically>>

I think some of us assumed that you were talking about AV scans...perhaps you need to clarify. What is the onscreen message when these scans begin?

There are no "XP security scans" done by Windows...but there is a form of malware known as XP Security and other things, see Google List

If you have malware on your system, we will transfer you to a more appropriate forum for dealing with those issues.

Louis

ah, it does sound like I have that malware because, yes, these were not AVG scans. can it disable my security software? am wondering if that's what happened. somehting went wrong in my upgrade (I think) and now I have malware.

thanks for the help and sorry if I wasn't clear, I had posted more details in my other (original) post. appreciate the help!

#8 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

here's a link to my desciption of the problem:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1710676

and here's a copy/paste of what is in that thread:

I renewed my AVG internet security software Friday morning and since then I've had nothing but issues. first thing that happened was that every time I open a session of Internet explorer a second session opens up and typically the second session would have some message like I won something. I have just closed those down. also, the LinkScanner kept telling me every time a threat was averted and I would close that down too. with both of these shut-downs I would right click and choose close instead of using the X at the top right.

enter this morning when my AVG software didn't even load!! not on the task bar and so XP's built in security functions began with some malware scan running automatically, finding all kinds of threats and i was getting all kinds of windows popping up advising me of all kinds of threats. I went to control panel to see if AVG was still installed and it was yet I could not get it to open???? WTF????

so, now I am not sure what to do. I have sent 3 emails to AVG since Friday, the last one to alert them that I can't even use my computer now. what the heck???

if someone knowledgeable here could let me know what to do, i sure would appreciate it!! I think that something happened in the renewal and upgrading to 9.0 because it's been problem after problem and I can't even use the machine now. I am thinking that if I uninstall and reinstall maybe that will solve it but I am unsure how to proceed. Please help whenever you can.

I am not able to post a log at this time until I can enable a firewall....or can I? Please advise.

thanks so much.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

Yes malware can disable your security products and the problem you are having would probably also be there in safe mode.

Now that your post is in the Am I Infected section of the forum, you should be able to get help that will clean up your compter.

Edited by Stang777, 11 April 2010 - 07:31 PM.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hello tobyo,

I have merged your new logless topic in the malware removal forum to this topic. It now shows as post #8. I have also closed your topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308846/renewed-avg-internet-security-on-xp/ to avoid topic confusion.

Let me consult with some others who can assist you in creating some logs.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:08 PM

thank you so much Orange Blossom!!

and yes Stang777, the problem occurs in safe mode too.....loverly.

appreciate the help!!

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hello, Is this a paid version of AVG?

You will need access to another PC.

I want you to try these 14 steps first. Follow the Automated Removal Instructions section of our Guide here How to remove XP Security Tool 2010

If successful you should get a scan log from MBAM (MalwareBytes). Post that scan log and let me know how it's running.

The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:10 AM

yes, this is a paid version of AVG. (which I think I'm going to dump after this "fun" experience....)

I just read through the 14 steps and have one question: can this all be done in safe mode or should I switch it back to normal (if that's what it's called) mode?

thanks so much.

#14 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

I know I'm not supposed to bump....

but I'm not sure if this qualifies since it's not a log, yet. can only boopme answer this? was hoping to get this started today and maybe boopme is only on here later? seems to me it probably doesn't matter if I'm in safe mode or not, but I'd hate to be wrong.

okay, sorry....trying to be patient :thumbsup:

after all, I do still have my netbook.....

#15 sduvick

sduvick

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

these steps should work in safe mode and I would recommend that you try there first because that spyware with the popups will be a nuisance in normal mode. those steps should remove the malware assuming all goes to plan. Post back after attempting the steps aforementioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users