Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Use Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Emu1212

Emu1212

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:57 AM

Hey, my mother recently bought a new laptop and they installed Windows XP on it, but also gave her a copy of Windows 7. On my computer, I am using Windows XP Professional x64 Service Pack 2. Should I switch over to 7 or should I stick with XP? Or should I install both? I haven't ever tried 7 yet, so I don't know if it's worth it or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

Should I !!!
that's entirely up to you ,do you want to ,but remember its your mothers win7 ,maybe you should be asking her!
i think if you winxp is working for you stay with it ,

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

You cannot use her copy of Windows 7 on your computer. It is against the license agreement to do that. It is available ONLY as an alternative to XP (i.e. she formats her drive and clean installs Windows 7 without any trace of XP). You cannot use it on your computer. You would have to buy a retail copy.

The question still remains as to whether or not you should migrate to Windows 7. While Windows 7 is the best Microsoft OS to date (in my opinion), it may or may not be a good idea for you to install it. It depends on a lot of things...

Specs: If your computer's specifications are not up to par (par being: 2+ GHz processor, 2GB+ RAM, etc..), XP will certainly run better than 7. If you have decent specs, it will do alright.

Drivers: If you can't get Windows 7 drivers for your particular model from your manufacturer's website (because of the age of the hardware), it's almost a guaranteed no-go. There are a few caveats to this, but as a general rule, if your manufacturer does not have drivers for it, you shouldn't migrate to Windows 7.

Software: If you have a lot of older software and/or games that you use on XP, they may or may not work with Windows 7. I've only seen one piece of software that was completely incompatible with Windows 7 (fortunately, it wasn't entirely necessary). I've seen Microsoft Money 2006 installed on Windows 7 without a hitch. If a program gives you trouble installing and/or running, you can do Compatibility Mode on it. Old programs CAN work sometimes, but not always. Windows 7 has been kind to me in this aspect, as I've only had that one incompatibility that wasn't critical.

There are many things to consider in this scenario, and you are not the first to wonder about it. I've seen many people curious about Windows 7, but hesitant to make the plunge. Like I said, it's an awesome OS, but not always the best option for everybody.

Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and report back with what it tells you. This can give you an idea of whether or not your system is fully capable of running Windows 7.

Run Speccy and post a screenshot of the Summary so we will know what your system specs are.

Note: a perfectly legitimate option that you hinted at is a dual-boot. I've seen many people do this, and I've done it myself on my netbook. This would preserve your XP and allow you to boot into it when you need to (if you have critical programs that won't work in 7 or something), while still enjoying Windows 7. Here is how you set up a dual-boot.

Like I said, there are a lot of factors to consider in this choice....

We'll have to see how things pan out (your next replies, etc..) before I can give a "Yes" or "No" answer/recommendation. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Emu1212

Emu1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

@Caperjac: I already did ask her and she couldn't care less.

@KeyboardNinja: Thanks, I'll start those right now.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

Keep in mind the first part of my post:

You cannot use her copy of Windows 7 on your computer. It is against the license agreement to do that. It is available ONLY as an alternative to XP (i.e. she formats her drive and clean installs Windows 7 without any trace of XP). You cannot use it on your computer. You would have to buy a retail copy.

#6 Emu1212

Emu1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

Keep in mind the first part of my post:

But it's new in a box with a serial code and everything. Even if that still wouldn't work, it would be nice to know.

And I got the Upgrade Advisor to work, but Speccy has made my computer crash three times now.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:11 PM

Where did she buy the computer from and what documentation came with it? If it's a regular retail box, you might be able to use it, but that depends on the licensing and documentation that came with it (if it's tied to the computer or not).

What did the Upgrade Advisor say?

Hmmm...not sure why Speccy wouldn't work. It might work if you installed it instead of just using the portable version that I linked to...but it's probably not worth it. Especially if if just crashes your computer again (sorry 'bout that!).

Can you give me a quick run-down of your specs? Processor, RAM, hard drive, graphics card, etc...anything you know or can find.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 11 April 2010 - 03:11 PM.

#8 Emu1212

Emu1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

It looks like a regular retail box and it's sealed, but whatever.

I don't really know how to say all that... But at the top is says "Custom installation required." Do you want me to copy and paste it all?

And that's fine, hah. It only takes a few seconds to start my computer back up. But for my specs: AMD Anthlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.41GHz(That's exactly what the System Properties says), 2GB RAM, 298GB Hard drive , and I actually have no idea what kind of graphics card I have. How do you check that? I'm not that great with hardware, so yeah... hah.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

Hmm...I don't really know then.

Yeah, a clean install would be required. I was just wondering if you received any errors/warnings after running it.

Those specs are good...Everest should be able to tell you about your graphics card, along with a whackload of other things. Or your Device Manager would probably achieve the same effect (finding out what graphics card you have).

#10 Emu1212

Emu1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hmm...I don't really know then.

Yeah, a clean install would be required. I was just wondering if you received any errors/warnings after running it.

Those specs are good...Everest should be able to tell you about your graphics card, along with a whackload of other things. Or your Device Manager would probably achieve the same effect (finding out what graphics card you have).

Not much except:
Realtek High Definition Audio - Unknown - We don't have compatibility information about this device.
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver - Known issues - You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.

And I tried Speccy and again it didn't work, but it did say this about graphics:
Sceptre @ 1680x1050 (Monitor, obviously)
1024MB ASUS x1300
Don't know if that helps. If not, I'll try Everest.

And do you mean her copy legally won't work or that it physically won't work? Just curious.

Edited by Emu1212, 11 April 2010 - 05:40 PM.

#11 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

why not upgrade to sp3

#12 Emu1212

Emu1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

why not upgrade to sp3

I don't have it.

#13 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

it should be an free upgrade, if you have a valid licence, goto majorgeeks 4 download

Edited by Torchwood, 11 April 2010 - 06:00 PM.

#14 Emu1212

Emu1212
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

Really? Where could I find it? And this is a valid license, I just have no idea what my serial code is.... Do you happen to know if you can find it on/in the computer if possible? I have been thinking of reformatting and thought it might be a good idea to have it when reinstalling, hah.

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

Not much except:
Realtek High Definition Audio - Unknown - We don't have compatibility information about this device.
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver - Known issues - You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7.

And I tried Speccy and again it didn't work, but it did say this about graphics:
Sceptre @ 1680x1050 (Monitor, obviously)
1024MB ASUS x1300
Don't know if that helps. If not, I'll try Everest.

And do you mean her copy legally won't work or that it physically won't work? Just curious.

Hmm...your audio might not work if you install Windows 7. What is the exact brand and model for your computer?

No, that doesn't help. Let me know what Everest says.

Oh, it will most certainly physically work. But if the license agreement is that you only can use it on the original computer (what I would expect), then no, you can't do it legally.

Yes, you can get SP3 easily: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users