Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to use external HD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scubab

scubab

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

Hello all,
I have an old external hard drive that I was hoping to format to put some media on for my fiancÚ but I've run into some issues. First off, the HD is old (internal sticker states March 2006) so it could be a physical issue but unfortunately I don't have the necessary screw drivers here in my barracks. The last time I used the HD was around a month ago when I moved all my data off of it to prevent loss. It has been in storage since then but now it is not showing up in My Computer. It occasionally will pop up in there but Windows Explorer will freeze if I right click on the drive. When I go to Disk Management nothing shows up but when I check device manager the device does show up. If it helps to know I am running Windows 7 but when my roommate plugged it into his Windows Vista laptop his Windows Explorer quit responding also. To add, both of our laptops slow down and intermittently lock up when the device is plugged in.
It's probably time to just buy a new one but it's very difficult to get off base due to time constraints and I will be seeing her this coming weekend prior to any chances of buying her a new external.
Thank you very much for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

sounds like a bad hard drive. Perhaps running a hard drive diagnostic CD on it may tell you for sure but no garentees. If there are files you need off it, if you are familiar with using a ubuntu Live CD downloading one, and booting up off it may be able to get the files off it. as for replacing it, if your tech savy, and assuming its the hard drive and not the enclosure, you can take apart the enclosore, and remove the hard drive, and simply buy a normal hard drive to put back in saving the enclosure, as they use normal computer hard drives. What to look for is size, is it a 2.5 inch hard drive like from a laptop or 3.5 inch like a desktop drive, and whether its got a IDE interface or SATA.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

The Ubuntu live cd is s great way to experience the linux OS as well! :thumbsup:

scubab just out of curiosity what brand is this hard drive? It might have WD for Western Digital, or Maxtor or Seagate stamped on it somewhere.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users