Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

renewed AVG internet security on XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

I renewed my AVG internet security software Friday morning and since then I've had nothing but issues. first thing that happened was that every time I open a session of Internet explorer a second session opens up and typically the second session would have some message like I won something. I have just closed those down. also, the LinkScanner kept telling me every time a threat was averted and I would close that down too. with both of these shut-downs I would right click and choose close instead of using the X at the top right.

enter this morning when my AVG software didn't even load!! not on the task bar and so XP's built in security functions began with some malware scan running automatically, finding all kinds of threats and i was getting all kinds of windows popping up advising me of all kinds of threats. I went to control panel to see if AVG was still installed and it was yet I could not get it to open???? WTF????

so, now I am not sure what to do. I have sent 3 emails to AVG since Friday, the last one to alert them that I can't even use my computer now. what the heck???

if someone knowledgeable here could let me know what to do, i sure would appreciate it!! I think that something happened in the renewal and upgrading to 9.0 because it's been problem after problem and I can't even use the machine now. I am thinking that if I uninstall and reinstall maybe that will solve it but I am unsure how to proceed. Please help whenever you can.

thanks so much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

I've already gotten a reply from AVG and they want screen shots, etc. BUT, I am afraid to even turn on the machine to do that as teh XP scans start over when I shut them down. is there a way to stop those scans from automatically starting? any help would be greatly appreciated.....

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

ok, thanks! I'm going offline for a bit but will do this later or tomorrow even. and will reply here when I've done the above.

thank you SOOOOO much!!!

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:14 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

okay, I already have a question. the instructions tell me to do a backup first. do I start the computer in safe mode? or unplug it from the internet? the last time I turned it on the malware scan started right up. is there a way to not have that start? or, do I let it run and just do my backup and then continue on?

and then I need a firewall since my AVG firewall is not working. can I do that safely? or operate in safe mode to turn the XP firewall back on?

sorry for all the questions, it's been a while since I had an issue....but thanks so much!! I really appreciate it.

Edited by tobyo, 11 April 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

I don't have an authority to advice on possibly malware related issues.
You have to start new topic in malware forum and ask your questions there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

well, I am not getting anywhere unfortunately. I was able to get into safe mode but those same damn messages keep showing up telling me I'm at risk. and I went to the "how to install windows xp firewall" and I am not getting the same views in control panel as the instructions, likely because I am in safe mode? oy yoy yoy....I was able to double click on network connections but there was nothing under that....

so, I have turned it off for now. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.....

#9 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:45 PM

I don't have an authority to advice on possibly malware related issues.
You have to start new topic in malware forum and ask your questions there.

okay, I will start the topic, but I am not able to complete the preparations listed in there.....due to no being able to enable a firewall.

thanks.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:56 PM

That's fine. Tell them about your problems and they'll help you out.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

That's fine. Tell them about your problems and they'll help you out.

topic started! whee! :D

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

Cool :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hello,

I see that you also posted a topic in the Am I Infected forum here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308857/how-to-run-xp-in-safe-mode/

I'm going to merge your new topic in the malware removal forum to the topic in the Am I Infected forum so we can help you get some logs created.

I shall now closed this topic to avoid topic confusion.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users