Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spinning Wheel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

Often times, and it seems more often lately, Windows Vista stops and all I see is the spinning wheel on the screen. What's up with that? I assume Vista is doing something behind the scenes, but what? Is there anything I can do to stop this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:46 PM

Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Edited by Broni, 11 April 2010 - 01:46 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:33 PM

Often times, and it seems more often lately, Windows Vista stops and all I see is the spinning wheel on the screen. What's up with that? I assume Vista is doing something behind the scenes, but what? Is there anything I can do to stop this? Thanks.

That is simply the "busy" symbol used in place of the cursor when Windows is too busy to allow you to click anything (likely related to system specs and running programs). It's like the "hourglass" in previous versions of Windows (you can change what your cursor looks like in Control Panel > Mouse).

Follow Broni's instructions and we'll see what we can do about improving your performance. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Processor: Intel® Core ™ 2 DUO CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz 2.27 GHz
RAM 4.0

Hard Drive 221 GB / Free = 75.9 GB

Norton Internet Security

Attached Files

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

You have quite a few unnecessary startups, which we'll disable in a moment.
Carbonite backup is known for hogging computers, Norton is also pretty heavy contender.

Now...

Unless you installed Viewpoint Manager knowledgeably...
Go Start>Control Panel>Add\Remove (Programs and Features in Vista), and...
Uninstall any of the following programs associated with Viewpoint:
* Viewpoint Manager
* Viewpoint Media Player
* Viewpoint Toolbar
This program does not do anything bad such as deliver ads or spy on you, but it is considered foistware ("drive-by-install") as it is installed without your consent through programs like AOl, AIM, Compuserve, etc.

Re-run Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab and UN-check following items (no actual programs will be removed):
+ "IgfxTray"
+ "Persistence"
+ "ControlCenter3"
+ "HP Health Check Scheduler"
+ "HP Software Update"
+ "hpqSRMon"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "TkBellExe"
+ "Microsoft Office.lnk"
+ "QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk"
+ "WMPNSCFG"

Restart computer.

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

I'll attend to this after work today. Thank you very much. Your help is appreciated.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

I'll attend to this after work today. Thank you very much. Your help is appreciated.

+ "IgfxTray"
+ "Persistence"
+ "ControlCenter3"
+ "HP Software Update"
+ "hpqSRMon"

+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "TkBellExe"
+ "Microsoft Office.lnk"
+ "QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk"
+ "WMPNSCFG"

You will want to keep the bolded items running, and the others can be removed.

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. It is appreciated.

Is their a schedule of particular maintenance that one should follow to prevent the buildup of these unknown start-up programs and other such things?

Thanks again.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

Please...

@Hal06
Please un-check ALL items I listed.

Is their a schedule of particular maintenance that one should follow to prevent the buildup of these unknown start-up programs and other such things?

Some of those unnecessary startups came with your computer, some are created, when you install new programs.
Unfortunately, almost every program maker wants his program to be a startup, even, if there is no slightest reason for it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

Please...

the IGXTray pertain to graphics drivers and certain settings.

+ "HP Software Update"
+ "hpqSRMon"

HP Software Update pertains to either software installed or the laptop itself

HP Health Check - HP Health Check is a utility that comes with every Compaq or HP branded computer which actively scans the computer and alerts the user of important updates from HP, it can also suggest fixes, performance enhancements, updates and other hardware/software issues that may affect the computerís performance. One of the first things I did when I bought my Compaq Presario C714NR was to get rid of bloatware (unnecessary preinstalled programs/softwares) and start up services that load up when you start Windows. One of those services is the HP Health Check Service.

hpqSRMon
HP Photosmart Essential Image Unloader Application. This background task, which shows as an icon in the System Tray, is a monitoring task - as soon as it detects that you have connected to the printer's memory card reader or USB port, a device which holds pictures/photos (e.g. a memory card, a digital camera, or a USB pen drive with photos & pictures on it), it fires up the HP Photosmart Essential Productivity Suite photo downloading, photo editing, and photo printing program.

By default this task monitors only the printer's memory card reader and the printer's USB port; however, in some versions, you can right-click on the icon in the System Tray to configure it to monitor for connecting media on your PC's USB ports. In some versions you can also configure it not to monitor anything.

So disabling that would prevent him from using the full functionality of his printer.

It would help if you did research on google to determine what can and cannot be removed from the start up items.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

I know exactly what can be disabled and none of the above items need to be a startup.
...and this is the end of the argument from my side...

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

It is my considered opinion that most of the programs which want to autostart, oughtn't. Most of the above-listed applications (the ones not in dispute) fall into the category of resource-hogging useless crapware.

The remainder are largely up to the preferences of the user. If, for example, the user never or rarely uses the memory card reader of the printer, then having the hpqSRMon task running all the time is probably not worth the resources.

Were this my computer, all of the above listed tasks would be removed.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

It is my considered opinion that most of the programs which want to autostart, oughtn't. Most of the above-listed applications (the ones not in dispute) fall into the category of resource-hogging useless crapware.

The remainder are largely up to the preferences of the user. If, for example, the user never or rarely uses the memory card reader of the printer, then having the hpqSRMon task running all the time is probably not worth the resources.

Were this my computer, all of the above listed tasks would be removed.

I agree 100,000 % with your assessment. :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users