Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.net framework 3.5 sp1 install failure

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 will12

will12

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

Hello all, I need help with installing ".net framework 3.5sp1" for windows vista 64bit.

It comes with error that setup.exe has stopped working--if I install from 231Mb file from microsoft web-site.
or
error code 643 when I use windows update.

I have been working on this for a week--and I am not sure where I need to go from here.

Also, I have office XP--perhaps this one gives me trouble.

Edited by will12, 11 April 2010 - 08:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:47 AM

Have you tried the dotnetfx cleanup tool? It was written by this guy, Aaron Stebner as near as I can determine, and has the blessing of Microsoft. The only link I can find for the tool goes directly to the download, just thought I'd warn you in case you felt weird using it.

Run the tool & you should remove only that version for which you are receiving error code. (i.e. you should only remove .NET Framework 3.5 & its service packs package).

EDIT: REBOOT after running the tool.

Then install the .net again.

.net 3.5

.net 3.5 SP1

I found the info here, if you want to check it out first.

Edited by DeathStalker, 11 April 2010 - 08:55 AM.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

In order to fix this failed update, we must first clean up your .NET framework installation. Download and run this file. It will remove the .NET framework from your computer so that we can reinstall it later (and solve the non-installing update). My sister's laptop did the same, as well as our home desktop (failed update). But don't worry, it is very easy to fix.

After running this cleanup tool, it will ask you to reboot. Please do so.

Next, download and install this file. This will reinstall the .NET framework onto your computer.

After another reboot, download and install this file. This will update the .NET framework to what it should be (what the automatic update was failing to do).

Now, check Windows Update again, and see if anything shows up.

*EDIT* Awww...you beat me to it, DeathStalker. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 11 April 2010 - 08:48 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 will12

will12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

Thank you for quick reply, I have tried to remove the .net#### by the tool, and reinstall .net framework 3.5, and it gives me error, that setup.exe has stopped working.

I think I have some problem with corrupt files.

Do you have anymore ideas on how to fix this issue, please?

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Do you have a copy of the actual Vista 64 or was it pre-installed? I want you to run the system file check command (SFC). It CAN workk without the disc, but sometimes it needs it to replace certain things.

Here is how to use the SFC/Scannow feature. If there is anything you don't understand about how to use it, PLEASE let us know and we'll walk you through it.

When you have finished, use the directions found here and post your logs please.

Keyboardninja: If you are reading this, please give a more detailed explanation to the OP. I'm out of time lol, my employees just showed up and i have to put them to work. That's why i just linked the KB's rather than explained it.

Edited by DeathStalker, 12 April 2010 - 08:15 AM.

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:46 PM

It explained it pretty well. Here is all you need to know, will12:

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

#7 will12

will12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

Hello Deathstalker and KeyboardNinja,

I have tried the scan and my computer have found nothing:
"Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations."

When I try to install .net framework 3.5 sp1--I still have same erorrs as before.

Seems I have some other issues with my laptop.

Sorry for late reply-I was on the road past week.

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

That's cool will, you have to make a living lol. We'll still be here when you get back. If I read you correctly, you did an SFC Scannow and it didn't fix your problem. If you answered my other question I didn't see it. Do you have an actual Vista Installation disc or did it come pre-installed on your computer? If you have the installation disc, do a repair install. and then try the update again.

Note: I probably won't reply to this again. I just started malware training here and will have to devote my time to that now. Sorry I wasn't able to fix your problem, but the truth be told, I was close to the end of things I knew to help you out. I'm sure Mr. Ninja can serve you better lol. Good luck and again, sorry that what we suggested hasn't worked so far. I feel confident though that KeyboardNinja can get you squared away much better than I could :huh:

Edited by DeathStalker, 16 April 2010 - 11:13 PM.

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:18 PM

I'm glad one of us is confident... :huh:

Anyway... :huh: Good luck with the malware training, DeathStalker! :huh:

will12, you said: "When I try to install .net framework 3.5 sp1--I still have same erorrs as before." Does that mean you ran the removal tool, installed the .NET framework, but failed to install the service pack (3.5 SP1)? Or did you never get past the first installation after running the removal tool?

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 11:53 PM

You wouldn't let a brother down now would you? :huh:

LOL I've seen enough of "you." You won't let this go until the last dog is dead. Will is in great hands.

oh, and thanks. I really wanted the training. Hope I don't let them down. Catch you on the flip side.

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:07 AM

LOL I've seen enough of "you." You won't let this go until the last dog is dead.

oh, and thanks. I really wanted the training. Hope I don't let them down. Catch you on the flip side.

I'll do my best not to. B)

Haha...too true. :huh:

Cheers! :huh:

Just a reminder:

will12, you said: "When I try to install .net framework 3.5 sp1--I still have same erorrs as before." Does that mean you ran the removal tool, installed the .NET framework, but failed to install the service pack (3.5 SP1)? Or did you never get past the first installation after running the removal tool?

#12 will12

will12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 12:08 AM

I have 2 recovery dvds that came with my windows vista 64-bit ASUS M70VN laptop--forgot to mention earlier.

As for removal:
- I removed .net framework 3.5
- Then the only framework that I can install is v 1.1
- .net framework 3.5 sp1 I cannot install.

I am going to try to reboot my laptop with the recovery disk--see if I can repair it.

Thank you for good leads

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:58 AM

LOL I've seen enough of "you." You won't let this go until the last dog is dead. Will is in great hands.

He's one of our best staff members! Agreed Will is in great hands here with KN! :huh:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#14 will12

will12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

Hey guys,

I have discovered that recovery will erace my HD. I do not really want to do it just now if I do not have to.
Can you please recommend other pathways to follow? :huh:

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

He's one of our best staff members! Agreed Will is in great hands here with KN! :huh:

Thanks. :huh:

Yes, using a recovery disk will restore your computer back to factory conditions...which isn't what you want.

After a little more research, I came across these instructions:

Download and run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, and remove the .NET framework 1.1 from the machine.

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9...1bd/msicuu2.exe

Download .NET framework 1.1 from the Microsoft website and install it

.NET Framework 1.1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Reboot your machine, then install .NET 1.1 SP1 from the Microsoft website and reboot your computer again. Then try to take the update once again.

.NET 1.1 SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users