Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would you do to a static website ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Delta16

Delta16

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:27 AM

What would you do to a static website ?

1. Convert your static template to joomla.

or

2. Code everything yourself to make it work something like joomla and wordpress (CMS), which is a lot difficult than converting I think.

Thanks for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:11 AM

It really depends on what my goal was.

#3 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:11 PM

Can you give some examples of what could be some of the goals you want and which option would you chose.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

You're the one asking the question, not me. I can't answer your question unless I know for what purpose you want to convert it.

#5 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, you got a point there but I wanted some various examples, anyway here is the purpose of my site.

I made a static website which I upload files(patches/fixes of games) on it so other people can download. Now, to edit every page so I can add 1 file would be a little complicated as it will be updated often.

Now, which choice would you choose, create everything yourself, or put your template into joomla and then you'll add the downloads from the CMS of joomla.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

Regardless of whether or not you use Joomla or your own content management system, you are still going to be making changes somewhere. Are you going to be adding thousands of files that is going to make it worth the time to convert the website? Are you going to allow user uploads?

There is no right answer.

#7 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

Maybe not that much files :thumbsup: and no users wont upload stuff.

Regarding what is worth it, I am only doing this sort of website for more knowledge and experience. I'm still a student and would like to expand my knowledge on Web Development. I would like it to be my future main job. I already developed static websites with my own design , html and CSS. Now I would like to introduce PHP and Databases.

What would companies that work on these sort of projects do ? Would they convert the template to joomla or would they make their own content management system and use it for further projects?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

If you are a student and want to expand your knowledge, than you write your own. You are not going to learn anything by using a CMS created by someone else.

What would companies that work on these sort of projects do ?

Both, or neither. I have no idea. That is sort of like asking me what you should have for breakfast, milk or orange juice. Maybe you had milk yesterday, and don't want it today. Maybe you really, really like orange juice. How am I suposed to know? Some companies use pre-build CMS. Some companies don't. How or why they make that decision can depend on an infinite variety of conditions.

#9 Delta16

Delta16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

Good point on the companies decisions.

I guess I will try to make my own.

Anywhere I can start, maybe tutorials ? ( of course php first, then ?)

Thanks a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users