Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Building a Computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:24 AM

Hi, I recently had an ideato build either a laptop or a tower pc, and I have a few questions. My first question is, laptop or tower? My second one, how much would it cost minus os cost. My third question, what os should I put on it?

I want the computer to have 2-4 gigs of ram, and at least 320 gig hard disk. This will probably be for my friend, so it's going to be a gaming rig. the o ly reason I don't have him buy alienware is because it costs like $2000 for a low end computer.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: Moved from XP to more appropriate forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 11 April 2010 - 06:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

well a tower being you want to build it and for a gaming rig you would want a core i7 and windows 7 64-bit to handle all of that ram, also you would want a pretty high end graphics card for good game play. A great place for deals is Newegg.com .
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

well, cant really build a laptop, not feasibly anyway. If your wanting a gaming rig, then a tower is definetly the place to go. Here are some pointers to look for.

CPU brand. Intel currently is the most popular, and in the area of video editing and massive multi tasking they definetly got the edge over AMD. However, they are tremendously overpriced, and so are good motherboards to go with them.

AMD is much cheaper then intel, and while lacks some in performance, is still an excellent CPU, in fact in bang for buck a much better deal. And me personally, I think it handles games a lot better do to their faster FSB and more efficient use of cache. And while they can't multi task as much as intel, they can still do great multi tasking, and can handle video editing though not as good as intel can, if you plan on doing a lot of video editing and such, intel is definetly the way to go, if not AMD is a good consideration. On top of that, parts for them are much cheaper.

Motherboard: backbone of your PC, dont skimp on it! Get a good quality motherboard from a company such as Gigabyte, ASUS, or Biostar. Gigabyte or ASUS preferably if its going to be a high performance PC. If your after gaming, make sure its either a crossfire or SLI enable board depending on what brand of video card you want. You dont have to crossfire or SLI right away, but its good to have if you want to upgrade in the future.

Power Supply: Again, do not skimp on the PSU. Get a good, high quality PSU with both enough wattage and enough voltage to handle all your core components. Good brands include Coolermaster, Antec, Corsair, and OCZ.

Video cards. There are 2 major brands out there, NVIDIA, or ATI. Personally, I find NVIDIA offers slightly better framerates in game then a comparable ATI card, but ATI offers slightly better image quality. On top of that, ATI cards are normally far cheaper then NVIDIA and provide excellent bang for buck. Good manufacturers of ATI are Saphire, HIS, or Gigayte. Good manufacturers of NVIDIA chipsets are EVGA, PNY, or gigabyte. there are others out there, but these are the ones I trust most.

Ram: DDR2 is cheaper, but if your into gaming DDR3 is the way to go. I prefer brands such as Patriot, Corsair, OCZ, or G.Skill

Hard drive: lot of good brands out there, SSD performance wise are the best but they arer small and expensive, I get by just fine with a regular hard drive.

OS. if your planning on having 4 or more gigs of ram (recomended) you will need a 64 bit Operating system to recognize all the ram.

anyway some pointers on what to look for. good luck!

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

Ah. Thanks. Would xp 64bit be good? Vista and 7 don't run slot of the good games out there. And would a 7200 rpm hdd be good for gaming? I would get a 1tb. And don't get me started on the antivirus software I'll have to buy (my friend downloads everything he sees). Again, thanks for the advice!

#5 NicR

NicR

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Make up your mind man, Intel or AMD ! Just giving you a hard time patriot ,it was just making me LOL how you would tell the poster Intel is better but AMD is OK to ;-)

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

Ah. Thanks. Would xp 64bit be good? Vista and 7 don't run slot of the good games out there. And would a 7200 rpm hdd be good for gaming? I would get a 1tb. And don't get me started on the antivirus software I'll have to buy (my friend downloads everything he sees). Again, thanks for the advice!

yes the 64 bit Xp would be ok just be warned SP3 does not run on that. also the hdd you mentioned would work just fine. some good anti virus is avast! and avira. :huh:

Oh and AMD is so much better than Intel just putting that out there haha :thumbsup:

Edited by computerxpds, 11 April 2010 - 10:09 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#7 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

Amd is not for me, intel core i7 processor. I have a mac, and I only trust intel with my gaming needs.

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:11 AM

if you go with core i7 go with the extreme edition. with a good motherboard. Also shop around for a box to put it all in the one that i have is an atx mid size but you can pick any size out there just as long as it fits everything. Also if you want to go the extra mile shop around for heat syncs to help keep that core i7 cool.

Edited by computerxpds, 11 April 2010 - 10:13 AM.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

Make up your mind man, Intel or AMD ! Just giving you a hard time patriot ,it was just making me LOL how you would tell the poster Intel is better but AMD is OK to ;-)

lol well Im sorry if I gave that impression, what I was trying to get across is that personally, I dont see one as better then the other over all, they both have their positves and negatives, depending on what you want to do with it. Intel is better in some areas then AMD, but there are some areas that intel lacks in that AMD doesnt either. Personally, I do use AMD almost exclusively, theyre cheaper then intel, and do everything I need them to. But, like I said if someone wanted to become the next george lucas and do some huge CG intel does handle that better, but in the case of gaming, especially on a budget, AMD is definetly a good solid choice.

And for this guys budget, the i7, particularly the extreme edition, is way out of his range. the extreme edition costs almsot 1000 bucks on its own, and a good high end motherboard that can make full use of that power is going to be another 2-300 bucks plus all the other features. heck, the model below it, the 3.2 ghz i7, that my brother bought was 500 bucks. he would be better off going AMD in his case, with the phenom x4 like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103727 its less then 200 bucks, a high end motherboard for it like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128415 or perhaps if he didnt want the 3 way crossfire this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128438 for a CPU plus motherboard cost less then 400 bucks-more then 100 dollars cheaper then a 3.2 ghz i7 by itself, and 600 cheaper then the extreme edition. And i have used that phenom before in computer I built for a friend-its blazing fast, and since its the black edition allows for virtually unlimited overclocking.

Edited by the_patriot09, 11 April 2010 - 01:03 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:37 PM

I would also like to add that unless you go with the Core i7 950 or better CPU, an AMD Phenom II X4 965 will come very close to the i7 920. Of course, that depends on the application and drivers since many games are GPU bound. Why, specifically, do you not want to consider an AMD CPU? Vista and 7 run all modern games very well... 7 more than Vista anyway. In fact, some gaming technologies are only meant to be run on 7 or Vista and not XP. Note that Windows XP has left mainstream support and only critical patches will be released until 2014. You will want to use Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, unless you are a professional needing the higher versions of 7. Using anything else is not a good idea since XP lacks security, DirectX 10 and 11, doesn't handle SMP very sell, and certain levels of Crossfire/SLI will not work it, while Vista is slow and isn't as streamlined as 7. What games does your friend play? There is a difference in hardware between wanting to play casual flash games, or titles like The Sims 3, than Crysis and Modern Warfare 2. Once you factor in all the graphical eye candy, the price can jump significantly.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users