Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creative Alchemy

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:43 AM

Good morning. I have the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card and I have Windows 7 as my operating system. As you may know, hardware abstraction layer has been disabled from Windows Vista and you can't play old titles with full eax sound. So, for that Creative has created a software called Alchemy. This program fully restores eax to old games like Call of duty when running windows vista or later. So, the question I have for you is this: Why Alchemy enabled games keep disabling CMSS-3D AND EAX EFFECTS when I start them? Is this normal, is this supposed to happen. I'm asking you, because I don't know. Other games, like BioShock don't need alchemy because eax is fully compatible with it and therefore when I enable EAX EFFECTS and CMSS-3D(in fact, I keep CMSS-3D always on), it doesn't get disabled when I start the game. So, that's why I think this is not normal. Let me know what it is. Thank you very much in advance and have a great time everyone! P.S. LIFE IS GREAT, BUT ONLY IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HAVE FUN, SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

I am curious if you have tried running the game as an administrator.

Have you tired right clicking the executable file and choosing properties and under the Compatibilty tab look for Privilege level check mark where it says Run this program as administrator?

Its just a hunch, I have had to do that with some games to give them more control through permissions for them to work correctly or to save the game.

If that does not work, you could also try right clicking the executable and choosing Properties, Compatibility Mode then check mark Run this program in compapability mode for and choose something like Windows XP SP3 and see how it works.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 April 2010 - 11:03 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:14 PM

Hello. Yes, of course. I always run as administrator when I make changes to some of my programs or when I play games.

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

Good morning. I have the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE sound card and I have Windows 7 as my operating system. As you may know, hardware abstraction layer has been disabled from Windows Vista and you can't play old titles with full eax sound. So, for that Creative has created a software called Alchemy. This program fully restores eax to old games like Call of duty when running windows vista or later. So, the question I have for you is this: Why Alchemy enabled games keep disabling CMSS-3D AND EAX EFFECTS when I start them? Is this normal, is this supposed to happen. I'm asking you, because I don't know. Other games, like BioShock don't need alchemy because eax is fully compatible with it and therefore when I enable EAX EFFECTS and CMSS-3D(in fact, I keep CMSS-3D always on), it doesn't get disabled when I start the game. So, that's why I think this is not normal. Let me know what it is. Thank you very much in advance and have a great time everyone! P.S. LIFE IS GREAT, BUT ONLY IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HAVE FUN, SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!:thumbsup:

"Is this normal, is this supposed to happen."

Yes. Creative deliberately sabotaged their drivers so they would not work on the newer Microsoft OS's, Vista and since it's the same architecture, Win7. That's not my opinion, that is FACT as stated by one of their VP's two years ago when a poster on their forum's DanielK was writing drivers for other posters and Creative threatened to sue him. The case is well documented. WHY they did it is still somewhat a mystery though lol.

If you google "DanielK drivers" though I think you can still find sites hosting the drivers that enable Creative cards (more specifically audigy) in Vista. I don't know about Windows7. I had just bought a creative cards for my Vista build RIGHT at the time this was all happening so I watched it all unfold lol. i took my Creative card back and periodically check to see if they have restored the functionality they deliberately took away. At last check they have not.

Hope this helps.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hmmm? I would think they would want to influence Vista and Windows 7 user to keep using their products, although the last card I have from Creative is the Sound Blaster Live X-gamer, I am using it presently on a UBUNTU linux system and surprisingly it works.

Yes I am a bit surprised because the SoundBlaster Live sound card is at least 11 years old, maybe I should count myself lucky???? :thumbsup:

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:14 AM

Hello again. Okay, I understood. So, you think this is a problem, not something normal. I knew it! Because it doesn't make any sense. Anyway, I would definitely agree with you when you said that creative wants to keep using their products, but I'm not agreeing with you completely because I'm using Daniel Kawakami's drivers. But, you may be right, maybe Daniel Kawakami didn't fixed this problem yet. Maybe he didn't knew there was. Because, if he did I don't think he wouldn't try to fix it. I will not use the creative official drivers until they finally get a fix with the headphones changing to speakers tab thing. So, I have to enable CMSS-3D and EAX EFFECTS after I play(not before). Allright, thanks for the information. If there wasn't for you, I wouldn't know all this. Have a good time:). P.S. SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH!

#7 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

Good afternoon. Well, I know what you've said about the drivers; I've read this a couple of months ago. That's why Daniel K. come in and fixed the broken drivers, because that's what I called them "Broken Drivers". I'm sick and tired with this whole thing. I hate creative as much as I love their sound effects and their specialty in sound(hardware). Because, they are terrible in every aspect expect at making sound cards. This is the best thing they do, and I got to say that they specialize in this, but I don't know why they want to sabotage their drivers. I don't know, it makes no sense. I don't know how you could do that to you. I mean, they make these cards for what? For selling them to you to enjoy; to have fun(there are a lot of words I can use to express). This is some kind of joyment and not, that's why I said that it makes no sense. I repeat myself: IT IS TERRIBLE!! Anyway, can you please tell me where to get the best drivers for my SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY SE card. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION AND THE HELP YOU OFFERED! I hope you have a great time:) P.S. Sorry for my bad english!

#8 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

Oh! One more thing; I forgot. I'm noob so can you tell me where to get Creative alchemy fixed by Daniel K. or whatever it's best. Thank you again and if you didn't understood what I've said, here it is, once again, clear: Why, creative alchemy was made after all, if creative wants to deliberate what they made?

Excuse me, I meant: "deliberate what they create?"

#9 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

I don't know Andrei why they did this. Their stock dropped significantly though. I agree Creative cards WERE the best. The one I have in my XP machine is flawless. I have a Fatality Xtreme gamer pro (or gold or something like that lol).

I cannot tell you where to find Daniels drivers, you would have to google for them. At one point he had them on his website but then later he took them down. I heard he got permission from Creative to put them back up but I can't confirm that.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Oh, and your English is fine. i can understand you. Good job. :thumbsup:

#10 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:25 AM

Hello again. Sorry, but I think I was a little misunderstood(perhaps I didn't make myself clear) because I already have Daniel K drivers(I downloaded them from the official creative forums, yes, I knew that creative let Daniel put his fixed drivers on their forums), but what I want is(if there is) creative alchemy fixed(I mean, if there is any way to fix alchemy so that it wouldn't disable my effects when I play a game). Thank you in advance. Their cards are still the best(I think), the downfall is their support(in fact is everything but their hardware made sound cards). What I mean is that they are good at making this(but their software and all that suck because of their limitation). They can make the best, but they don't want to become the best and that really makes no sense at all. HAVE A GOOD TIME!:thumbsup:

P.S. SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH AND FOR NOT BEING CLEAR!

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

Which game? Is it one game or all games?

#12 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:19 AM

As I said any game which is alchemy enabled.

#13 Andrei Robert

Andrei Robert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hello, people. I would like to know if, until now anybody knows if Creative Alchemy(the software that allows cmss-3d effects to be retained in newer os, like Windows 7, after XP, because microsoft discontinued the hardware abstraction layer, so therefore that is the purpose and the creation of this tool by Creative) has released a newer version that actually works when you add games on it and start them, so that they won't disable CMSS-3D? Because it is annoying for me to alt+tab my game and go into the creative audio control panel and enable back CMSS-3D. If not, then may you close this thread?
Thank you for your precious time and all of your help, people. You truly are great. I wish you all the best in the future and have a healthy and happy life! Take care! :-)

Best regards,
Robert Andrei Botezat

Edited by Andrei Robert, 20 November 2012 - 05:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users