Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAffee Being Sued

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:50 AM

Lawsuit Says McAfee Plays Loose With Customer Data.

Edited by Bezukhov, 11 April 2010 - 02:50 AM.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

McAffe is a security company that doesn't keep there customers information secure. Doesn't sound good. I wonder what ARPU is going to do with all that customer data. If the lawsuit is correct a lot of people are going to have to change the credit cards. Even doing that there is all that personal information out there and new credit lines can be started with the real owner not knowing until they get a bill in the mail.

#3 tjwh

tjwh

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:15 AM

Lawsuit Says McAfee Plays Loose With Customer Data.

That's nasty. I am glad I removed my McAfee trial. If I can avoid it , I don't deal with unsympathetic companies.

#4 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

I've never trusted them. And now my paranoia is justified and you posting this is sort of going to enable my future paranoia. Which I appreciate because I'm actually very comfortable with my paranoia.
Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,780 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

I'm actually very comfortable with my paranoia.

Posted Image :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

I find it amusing that McAfee, an overbloated AV that hogs resources is the focus here. cryptodan swears by them. I'm surprised he hasn't spoken up on this thread lol.

I also find it amusing that Norton is included in that article in another lawsuit. It's really sad that two of the pioneers of AV protection got taken over by bean counters and now are known because of their aggressive marketing rather than their stellar (stellar no longer) reputation for being a good AV. If either of those companies spent even a quarter of the amount of money they spend buying off computer manufacturers and internet providers on R&D and making their AV's good, they wouldn't need to spend the other 3/4's..........

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 15 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

This is shocking. You'd think that a security software vendor would have someone in the chain of command who would have balked at this blatant misappropriation of information and deception.

#8 BucketHead131

BucketHead131

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

Iam not to suprise as this. As a normal person I have uninstalled and did not like the software it was given. Much better choices out there today then this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users