Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus suite aftermath continuing problems

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 marktrev

marktrev

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:17 AM

I thought it best to start here with a request for advice rather than jump straight into the Virus, trojan, spyware, and malware removal logs forum. My computer was taken over by antivurus suite this week. Thanks to advice that I found on this site, I used rkill and malwarebytes to regain control. That was not, unfortunately, the end of my troubles.

The most obvious symptom is redirection to apparently random urls when I try to follow a link from a google search. There is also a tendency for the machine to hang from which removal of power and a restart is the only recovery.

Other threads on this site suggest that my problems are not uncommon. I don't know, of course, whether this is something left behind when antivirus suite was removed or a separate independent infection. Various scans have failed to remove the problem. A gmer scan produced the following that may be significant.

File C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys suspicious modification

By the way, I am using XP and don't have an installation disk.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users