Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a HD on both a PC and a Cable STB/DVR?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 subtropical

subtropical

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:46 PM

I have a SA8300DVR set top box. Tested it with my docking station and it works great via the esata connection.
I would like to set up two partitions, one for pc image backup and the other for whatever I record on the dvr.

I tried to set up a partition on the hd for a pc then leave the rest as unallocated in hope that the dvr would only format the unused area -it didn't, formatted the entire drive for the dvr :thumbsup:

Is there a work-around?
:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

can you tell what the DVR format is?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 subtropical

subtropical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

can you tell what the DVR format is?

From looking at the hd when I plug it back into the PC? No. Looking for a hack that will let me have a NTFS partition for the PC and give the rest over to the DVR.

The Set Top Box I'm talking about is a Scientific Atlanta box from Brighthouse.

Have a 500G drive in a blacX docking station. Want to use 200G for pc backup and 300G for the dvr. My wife and her soap operas. OK, I like NCIS too... :thumbsup:

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

OK, I like NCIS too... :thumbsup:

So Do I haha!

So anyway I'm surprised the DVR can recognize the one partition and erase it when it formats it.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 subtropical

subtropical
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:12 PM

OK, I like NCIS too... :thumbsup:

So Do I haha!

So anyway I'm surprised the DVR can recognize the one partition and erase it when it formats it.

It didn't, formatted the entire hd again. Poop.

Edited by subtropical, 11 April 2010 - 09:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users