Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not sure what's wrong?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jennnnn

jennnnn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

Hello. Been having a new weird computer problem. One day walked into my room to find that the monitor was off, but the computer was still on. Tried to restart my computer but it would not come on. Tried it several days later and it worked, but the date and time was wrong. I fixed the time and date and restarted and it worked again for about a week. Then it messed up again, same thing. Monitor went off and computer stayed on. Tried to restart and the same thing happened. Now it is working again and will probably mess up in a few days. So I am just wondering what anyone thinks this is? It's not my monitor that is messed up cause it's working now, I am sure it's a computer problem. also I got an error a few times that said cmos checksum error and I googled that and it said something about a motherboard battery. This computer is 7 years old and I have only had a few problems with it. It is old and I am gonna get a new one soon but until then I'd really like for this one to stay on? So what do you think this problem could be? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

you need to replace the motherboard battery it is a small button cell battery located somewhere on your motherboard.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:36 PM

General guidance (ignore instructions to write down settings), CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#4 jennnnn

jennnnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:32 PM

so thats why my computer will stay on but everything else(mic, keyboard, speakers, monitor) stop working..?
lol sorry just still not clear..

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:18 PM

so thats why my computer will stay on but everything else(mic, keyboard, speakers, monitor) stop working..?
lol sorry just still not clear..

I suggest after you replace the CMOS battery, you enter your computers BIOS setup utility and make sure to set the system time and date.

I also suggest you find the F key commands which should be listed at the bottom of your BIOSs main menu screen for loading the system defaults, there may be two F key settings mentioned, one might be the F5 key the other might be the F7 key, there should be something next to the key command which says Load system Defaults or Load Best Configuration, which ever the keys are press them, then if needed exit to the main menu by hitting the Escape key, once you are in the main BIOS menu, hit the F10 key this will will ask if you want to save changes to CMOS and exit? Type Y for yes and allow the computer to reboot.

If this fails to fix the problem, then you have have a power supply issue that has popped up.

Being that your computer is over 6 years old, this can happen, I won't bore you with the technical jargon, but power supplies do have a burn out period that they reach after so many hours has passed, some have a 500 to 700 hour rating, the better more expensive ones are much higher!

I would look into investing in a newer power supply, there are a lot of great deals on them from places like http://www.newegg.com and or http://www.tigerdirect.com search computer components and power supplies.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 jennnnn

jennnnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:25 PM

ok- thanks guys I will try all this(:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users