Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup cannot set the required Windoes XP configutation information.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bohnjerry

bohnjerry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

OK. Long saga..
One of my relatives brings me her PC 'cause it keeps crashing... After a while I noticed it seemed to be a hardware freezing issue. When I popped open the Dell case, many of the motherboard's caps were blown or bubbled (I did mount that drive in my PC and ran disk error checking / malware scans as well.. all check out). I had an extra Gateway E-4000 lying around, so I took her drive out and put it in that. Booted and got the BSOD. I've hit that before, especially when swapping out motherboards, so I popped in XP Pro CD and ran a repair. I got through all the file copies and got the error: "Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configutation information. This indicates an internal setup error. Contact your system administrator." I found that Microsoft claimed that unsupported hardware was the problem; to upgrade your BIOS, etc. This doesn't make sense, since I have installed XP dozens of times on these E-4000's. I did upgrade the BIOS, just for kicks, no change. I took an extra hard disk and installed XP from scratch in that machine no problem. I thought, just perhaps that Hard drive (IDE, Hitachi 250GB) was to blame. I took the very disk that installed clean, used Partition Magic to copy the partition to the drive known to install OK.. I copied it and attempted to do a Window install repair on that. I got the same error as with the last drive. Clusters are at 4K size, NTFS. Disk checking all appears clear. The only theory I have is some funky drivers on that Windows installation? I am attempting to save the install, since I did not want to re-install the software again that she had, and her family's profiles, etc.
Got any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

<<I had an extra Gateway E-4000 lying around, so I took her drive out and put it in that. Booted and got the BSOD>>

That's typical, I would say. A hard drive from System A...has different drivers and settings...than would pertain to System B.

Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

<<...so I popped in XP Pro CD and ran a repair. I got through all the file copies and got the error: "Setup cannot set the required Windows XP configutation information.>>

Well...if XP Pro was not installed on the hard drive...that makes sense to me. Additionally...if System A had any partitions created (recovery/restore) by the manufacturer...that might throw any repair efforts off. Lastly...if the XP Pro CD was not a MS Genuine XP CD, but a CD issued by some other manufacturer of systems...the CD may only be appropriate for the system it came with.

http://kadaitcha.cx/cannot_install.html, you have already read the MS KB for the error you received.

I will only add that...if the SP contained on the CD you attempted to use...did not match the SP existing on the system...I would not expect success.

<<I took an extra hard disk and installed XP from scratch in that machine no problem.>>

What machine is that, please? You've mentioned bad caps in one and a spare that you have. Which system was the drive in when you did this clean install?

It's not clear to me what system you are working on after you make the above statement.

You mention a Toshiba hard drive...does that mean that the system with the bad caps is a Toshiba?

Manufacturer and model for the relative's system?

Louis

#3 bohnjerry

bohnjerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

I do have an enterprise version XP Pro SP2 CD.
No more efforts were attempted at installing/reparing windows on a blown motherboard.
I have, in the past, repaired a fully patched (with SP3) from this very CD when I changed my own motherboard (separate incident). Given this one might be an OEM version, but I couldn't confirm.. it wasn't operable when I got it.
Dell Dimension 2400 to a Gateway E-4000.
The clean XP install was sucessful with the E-4000 but the repair over the same harddrive with the copied partition was not.
All the Microsoft KB's claim this is a hardware issue.. no mention of any SP level incompatibility problem or anything related to the ones and zeos on the drive. That is what puzzles me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

Just my opinion...

Microsoft KBs are written for highly generalized conditions. Those conditions assume that the user has a valid copy of XP properly installed and updated and that the system does not necessarily contain/reflect any hidden partitions, recovery partitions, or such.

Those KBs are also written on the premise that the user has a CD by which to repair or reinstall XP, as used to be the case for everyone years ago and is still the case for those who build systems and then install either OEM, upgrade, or retail versions of MS XP.

Those KBs are generally not written to cover the fact that hardware failures/problems occur every day and they certainly are not written to cover the possibility of malware (which increases daily).

Those KBs cover known, documented situations where things go wrong with Windows...they cannot be expected to cover the unknown, the random, the atypical computer situations which occur sometimes.

<<All the Microsoft KB's claim this is a hardware issue.. no mention of any SP level incompatibility problem or anything related to the ones and zeos on the drive.>>

There is only one KB that I saw and that was written for one known particular instance. OTOH, the Kadaitcha link reflects a totally different consideration, the possibility that this same issue can occur when a user is trying to use an upgrade XP CD.

We have been using XP now for 9 years and we know a lot about it and some of the problems users encounter. We do not know every circumstance that can arise...regarding use of XP as an O/S...and we never will. Too many variables exist.

I'd like to be able to say...1, 2, 3...this is what is wrong with your system. I cannot do that, maybe someone here at the forum can.

But there are ways to move around some of the obstacles that we encounter, if we choose to employ such tactics.

My last comment regarding all this...most "emergencies" by users could have been easily overcome if they had only employed one basic tenet of computing that I have heard since 1992...backup, backup, backup.

Louis

#5 bohnjerry

bohnjerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:03 PM

Yeah, the backup isn't really going to apply in this case, since restoring the harddrive to the previous state on the old Dell is only going to propagate the BSOD on the Gateway again.
I do have her data, and I can reattach her familyís documents / pictures / etc to a recreated environment. I was hoping to find suggestions about what else this error could be thrown by. I have discounted incompatible hardware. I donít think the device drivers within the prior install would be started at this point.
My back isnít against the wall on this one. I was hoping to gain some knowledge by this experience. By experimenting, I might pick up on some patterns.
So I know that I can reinstall windows and let her know to re-install any programs she has at home. I have already attempted to see what might remain by a complete overwrite of windows (nothing at all) by experimenting with copying that partition again.
If there are many scenarios that can throw this identical error; I am stating I have a reproducible scenario.. letís try playing with some of them. Does anyone have knowledge of what the install is doing at this moment? Is something initializing? Is the boot sector being written to? Does this error occur when some event times out? What is the Windows setup trying to call through the hardware that it attributes to failure if it doesnít see? Is there a switch to log the setup?
Iím not demanding someone give me a 1.2.3 solution, either.. But if anyone can think of an alternative way to look at this (mounting the drive and tweaking things or other avenues), Iím game!

Thanks.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

What your doing is making for a very "dirty" install, the system will always be somewhat buggy and a clean install ought to be done. But if you are just going to play around with it, then you should try removing all of the drivers on the entire system, I think that's what causing your issues
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Install all the drivers made for the gatway pc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users