Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing and restoring hard disk with operating system for sale?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 g0tvtec

g0tvtec

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

I want to sell my HP desktop but want to erase all of my files from it. I will use Dban to overwrite the entire hard drive but how do I restore the operating system? Do I just use the recovery disks to restore the OS after Dban? Or is it a better idea to keep my HDD and put in a new HDD for sale?

If I put in a new HDD, will my recovery disks install the OS into the new HDD without any problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

What type of media is your recovery disk on?

If it is a floppy disk, this means your OS is stored on a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive.

If it is a cdrom, it should say on the disk that it has the windows OS on it.

Please check this before wiping the hard drive.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 g0tvtec

g0tvtec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the response

I have a recovery partition on the HDD which I believe can be used to restore the system. At the same time, I have CD/DVDs of HP's system recovery that was sent to me from them. The system recovery disc says that it contains Vista Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 but I have a seperate Windows 7 (also from HP) which can be installed after i install vista.

I plan on building a custom PC right before I sell this machine. Do you recommend me to DBan the HDD and sell it completely blank or should I do the full system restore along with Windows 7 for the buyer?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for the response

I have a recovery partition on the HDD which I believe can be used to restore the system. At the same time, I have CD/DVDs of HP's system recovery that was sent to me from them. The system recovery disc says that it contains Vista Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 but I have a seperate Windows 7 (also from HP) which can be installed after i install vista.

I plan on building a custom PC right before I sell this machine. Do you recommend me to DBan the HDD and sell it completely blank or should I do the full system restore along with Windows 7 for the buyer?

Well if you want to pass on your OEM disk of windows 7 to a customer, that's entirely up to you, but is a good jester on your part if you ask me. :thumbsup:

I would just do a fresh install of windows 7 on the hard drive and pass those disks along with the computer to the new owner. Doing a fresh install would pretty much wipe out much of the origional contents anyways, but make sure you do not save the origional files during the install or it will move them into a folder called windows.old on the root directory of the drive, which is not what you want, so choose no if you are asked if you want to save your old configuration files ect.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users