Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Won't Boot after Powering Down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dug2012

dug2012

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

I have an hp pavillion wtih the mcp61pm-hm rev. 2.2 MotherB.
Similar but slightly different problem:
My hp pavillion will not boot after
a power down.

I tried booting from dvd and thumb drive but
did not work.

The drive light and the wireless light are solid on when
powered up but nothing happens.
The dvd tray works, and the dvd drive spins up with disk in or not.
All fans work. The green power light on the power supply is on when plugged
in.
the power switch does not
turn off the mother board when powered up.

I removed ram, all cards and tried powering
bios, but same symptoms, the drive light stays solid and the power switch does not turn off the mother board.

Any ideas? blown motherboard? can malicious software do this? I had just upgraded avg virus.

Last time my son installed ipod it did a similar thing but I could boot dvd to recover...

thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

Have you tried unplugging the power supply from the AC outlet for a few minutes?
Sometimes there is an automatic reset that takes place if the power suply is unplugged and the power switch is switched on.

Your problem is most likely hardware related and not virus or software related.

Was any new hardware added to the system lately?

Has anyone been inside the computer before your problems started happening?

I am not 100% sure at this moment, but for lights to remain on on certain devices indicates something is not connected right and it is haulting the system from booting up, it could be something minor like a keyboard or mouse has become disconnected or is not making a full connection in its port.

Does the keyboard light up and does any lights remain lit, besides the scroll lock key? Are any keys on the keyboard stuck in the down position?
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users