Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open up Windows programs like Add or Remove Programs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wackedgirl

wackedgirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:44 PM

My problem all started about two or three weeks ago when Windows Security Center popped up saying that my computer was infected with various viruses. So when it prompted me to remove the infected files, it requested a password of some sort that I didn't have, so i just ignored Security Center when it came up. Then my computer wouldn't let me open Mozilla Firefox. I had to use Internet Explorer and then somehow I hit a button that would search for something using my default internet, meaning Firefox. So I found a way to get around the block Security Center was making. But whenever I would try to do anything some window would pop up from Security Center saying I was infected and it would ask me if I wanted to block whatever file it was. I decided to just ignore Security Center whenever it came up. Then, I'm not sure when it happened, but a window would pop up when i turned on my computer and it says "rundll32.exe Application not found." So now when I try to open up something I have to search through my program files to find something that will be able to open whatever it is that I need. I have been able to open up Firefox but if I try to open up something like Security Center or almost anything from Control Panel, it won't let me open it. For instance, when I try to open up Add or Remove Programs from Control Panel a window pops up saying "C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe Application not found." I am able to open up most files, but I cannot open any Windows programs. Also, I use AVG Free 9.0 to scan my computer for viruses, but the last few times I have scanned my computer, halfway through the scan my computer will shut down on its own. Now my computer does shut down randomly sometimes, but the last few times my computer has done this it was during an AVG scan. I know this is a lot of random information but if you can somehow figure out what is going on and what is wrong, I would greatly appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

I have asked that this thread be moved to the Am I Infected section. That popup was probably a FakeAV Alert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users