Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

Hi. In the past when I used Windows Media, it would automatically title the album, artist, tracks, etc. Now I keeping getting "Unknown Artist". I've gone into the Options menu and changed the settings but still keep getting "Unknown Artist". Could someone tell me what I might be doing wrong and help me fix this. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:59 PM

Have you right clicked the file and choose Properties choose the details tab and edited the Contributing artists info? It is found under the Media section, add the artists name there and it should now show up.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 11 April 2010 - 03:02 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

Bruce: Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I guess my settings didn't let me know you had responded. I tried what you said, but maybe my system or OS is different than yours. I'm running XP home. I couldn't find the media or contributing artists tabs. Where would I find them? Thanks so much, Scott.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 18 April 2010 - 06:26 AM

Hi Scott.

I have XP HOME.

Highlight Library

Click on small arrow under Library

Select Music or what your seeking.

Click on small arrow next to Artist

Select unknown

All music with unknown Artists will appear.

Right Click on unknown Artist and select Edit.

Fill in the Edit box,with the Artists name, and hit Enter.

This can be done for Albums,Singer,Genre, and Year.

Ask if you can't follow a step.

HTH

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

Thanks. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I thought I had this set up to notify my Yahoo mail when I get a response, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I appreciate your answer, but this is not the nature of my question. Previously when I have used Windows Media to rip a CD, it would automatically name album, artist, tracks, etc. I know how to do it manually, but isn't there a way for it to AUTOMATICALLY id and name all the info. I swear it did this before my reformat. Maybe it was on another computer with Vista, but I know I've had a computer that would AUTOMATICALLY do this, without me having to do it manually.

Appreciate any advice on this. Best, Scott.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users