Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SATA Hardrive attempted windows xp install

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 askylitdrive

askylitdrive

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

I have a gateway 838gm desktop computer that start having problems so I bought new hard drive for it and i poped in my windows xp cd into the dvd drive and it boot and i pressed any button to continue and it partitioned the new HD and started install windows xp but after a while after installation it just went to a blank black screen with no message. I've tried everything. What can I do to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

That system is a media center PC, came with a SATA drive...so the fact that the drive is SATA should be a non-factor.

User Manual

Page 48 indicates that you have restore/recovery CDs and not MS Genuine XP install CDs. Same page also indicates that instructions for using said CDs is in hands of owner.

Restore CDs are often dependent upon files which are stored on the hard drive...in order to work as planned. These files probably exist in a separate, possibly hidden partition which was created by your system manufacturer...to enable restore operations successfully.

Since a new hard drive would not contain such files, attempting to restore the system...logically should fail (IMO).

A search of the Gateway site...reveals little to me. Any of the links that appear to contain info re reinstalling XP...don't seem to work for me.

If I had a system like this...I would just

a. Install disk cloning software on old drive.

b. Clone old drive to new. New drive would be exact copy of old.

c. Remove old drive, replace with new.

Louis

#3 askylitdrive

askylitdrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

I have no idea how to do what you suggested D: can you help me out? I dont even have those restore cds that came with the PC. Thanks mate.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

<<i poped in my windows xp cd into the dvd drive>>

What XP CD might that be? Is it a MS Genuine XP CD...or a CD you acquired with purchase of a "name brand" system?

One example of How to Clone: http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/copy-hard-drive.htm

Links for Cloning, Using Acronis True Image

FWIW: Western Digital offers a free download of Acronis True Image, http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp.

Louis

#5 askylitdrive

askylitdrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

But that software is to clone the hard drive i replaced which came with the computer when I originally purchased and that hard drive doesnt work thats the whole reason I bought a new one.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:02 PM

If you had said that in your initial post...I would not have suggested cloning the drive.

<<I have a gateway 838gm desktop computer that start having problems so I bought new hard drive for it and...>>

Users buy/replace incorrect/inappropriate components or even new systems all the time...that doesn't mean that they were correct in assuming that this would solve whatever was wrong.

You still...haven't indicated just what this "XP CD" might be. If it's a genuine XP CD, you can do a clean install...if it's anything else, you probably can't do a clean install.

Louis

#7 askylitdrive

askylitdrive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

I have a genuine xp cd,i tried doing a clean install on the original hard drive and everything goes fine to the point where it says your pc will restart in 15 seconds and once it restarts it just goes back to the screen that say press any key to continue and starts the process all over again. if i dont press the key to continue it just goes straight to the blank black screen. The same exact thing happens with the new hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users