Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird freezing

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 sweetkitten

sweetkitten

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

Hi all ... this is my first post, so sorry if all is not correct :huh:

I have a 1 year old pc, never had a problem with it till last night .. randomly windows will freeze, i can open task manager which stops the windows freezing for a while, i can also right click on the tabs in task bar at the bottom and close the windows, but i cant close it with the x at the top or actually do anything on the page thats open... If i try and open a new window as soon as i left click on the window it freezes, then after closing all windows down and leaving it a minute i can browse the web as normal again, sometimes for 5 minutes sometimes 3 hours.

i was running windows XP, but formatted and installed windows 7 hoping that might solve the problem, but it didnt. I have ran Malwarebytes, ccleaner, checked my hijack this log at hijackthis.de .. all come back ok.

I did a memory test with the windows memory diagonistic tool which was fine.

my pc is a dual core AMD processor 2.5ghz
3 gig ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

any help would greatly be appreciated :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

http://www.windows7update.com/Windows7-Event-Viewer.html

Take a look at the errors which may coincide with evidence of problems.

Generally...if you had the same problem with XP and Win 7...after a clean install...then my guess would be hardware.

I'd check the system for cleanliness, as a start. Overheating (or too little hard drive space for Windows) will generally result in symptoms such as you describe...but, then again, so will various hardware problems.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Computer Cleaning Information - http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

I'd also run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

It wouldn't hurt to take a peek in Device Manager also.

Louis

#3 sweetkitten

sweetkitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

Checked event viewer, nothing shows up

Checked for overheating, thats fine .. I have a 80 gig HD with only windows installed, so plenty of room there

I have checked device manager, nothing unusual there. Guess i'll give the inside a good clean out and see where we go from there

thanks for the advice

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

Im thinking overheating on this one.

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, buy a thing of canned air and blow out the insides really good.

Have you updated your drivers (for Windows 7)?

What anti-virus product(s) are you running?

Is it only browser windows that freeze or do Windows Explorer (My Computer, Documents, Pictures, etc..) windows freeze, as well?

What browser are you using?

Have you noticed a particular process in the Task Manager that is taking up an abnormally large percentage of CPU? You will have to click the "Show processes for all users" button to see everything.

Is this a home-built PC or OEM bought? If OEM, what brand and model is it?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 dlsims

dlsims

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:11 AM

Try reseating all cards inside of the Computer after cleaning out your computer. Be sure everything is unplugged - NO POWER CONNECTED - Use a lite brush and brush the dust off of the motherboard to make sure there is no tracking from moisture. Pull out the plugged in cards and brush them off and reseat them. Also reseat your memory as well.

Dont forget to use a grounding strap, and attach it to your Computer casing to make sure you are at the same electrical potential to avoid any electrical static damage. DO THIS BEFORE YOU START touching anything inside of your computer case.

Sometimes a simple thing like dust accumulating on the boards over time, alone with just the right moisture conditions, is enough to create a slight electrical tracking between components; just enough to cause weird things to happen with the computer. If you have done this and the problem still exists,
then you know it might not be due to the computer and can on to something else.

Hope this helps,
dlsims

Edited by dlsims, 11 April 2010 - 01:13 AM.

#7 sweetkitten

sweetkitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

I am running IE 8.. tried firefox too, same thing happens .. it happens with everything not just internet

I have all the latest drivers installed.

I have cleaned out the inside of the pc, there is not one spec of dust.

The only thing i have noticed is when it freezes and i open task manager, the CPU usage is up on about 70% but drops before i can see anything.

i ran hwinfo32 to check the temperatures, heres the results

Posted Image

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:38 AM

You did not answer all of my questions. These are important, so please answer them.

What anti-virus product(s) are you running?

Have you noticed a particular process in the Task Manager that is taking up an abnormally large percentage of CPU? You will have to click the "Show processes for all users" button to see everything.

Is this a home-built PC or OEM bought? If OEM, what brand and model is it?

Edited by keyboardNinja, 11 April 2010 - 08:38 AM.

#9 sweetkitten

sweetkitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

I dont have any anti-virus currently running

Its a custom built PC

As i said above The only thing i have noticed is when it freezes and i open task manager, the CPU usage is up on about 70% but drops before i can see anything.

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

You should not be using your computer without an anti-virus running. This is a very bad idea. The reason I asked was so I would know which one you had, and see if that particular one was causing your problems. But since you don't have one at all (like I said, bad idea), that blows that theory.

Ehh...customs are nice, but you have the disadvantage of no total manufacturer's support, only individual manufacturer's components...which makes troubleshooting a little more difficult (aka fun :huh: ).

Okay...I understand what you're saying about the Task Manager now. When you open the Task Manager, the CPU always spikes for about 1 second to somewhere above 50%. This happens with every PC I've ever used. It happens on all of them. It is a repeatable phenomenon. Nothing to be worried about. I don't know specifically why it does this...it just happens.

Okay, here's what I recommend you do: leave your Task Manager open (with the "Show processes for all users" box checked). When you notice the computer freezing, look up and down the list of processes in the Task Manager and see if you can find one using an abnormally large percentage of CPU. If you just open the Task Manager whenever you please, you'll get that CPU spike as mentioned above. But if you leave it open for a while, you can glance at it real quick to see what is causing the freezing (the one that's using high percentage of CPU).

Since you don't have any AV installed, it makes me question whether or not you have a malware infection. I know you said you ran MBAM, but even it can be defeated by highly sophisticated malware (rootkits, MBR infections, etc..).

#11 sweetkitten

sweetkitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

okay, i'll do what you say with the task manager..

I do have a tiny hunch about it been the java.exe but i cant be 100% certain..would it be possible for jave to do this ?

Malware should be out the question since its a clean install of windows surely.

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

All right.

Uhh...no idea. Since I'm sure your Java is out of date, go ahead and update it using the offline installer. But I doubt Java is using CPU....unless it's malware disguised as Java...which is a very real possibility. I mean, any process can use too much CPU. And if you're running webpages or programs that use Java, it's possible that it's using some system resources (Java only runs when it needs to).

Well, it is still a possibility to get reinfected immediately following a clean install. I've read about this happening in less than 4 hours after a clean install. That's obviously an extreme case, but it can still happen.

Also, since you say it happened in XP before you installed 7 and after you installed 7, that makes me think of three possibilities: hardware problem (with a homemade PC, it's certainly possible), an MBR infection (it would hang around on the hard drive even after a clean install), or the programs that you installed after the clean install of W7 (the same ones you used in XP).

Let me know if your Task Manager monitoring comes up with anything fruitful. :huh:

#13 sweetkitten

sweetkitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:36 AM

There is nothing at all showing on the task manager

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

Are you on the Processes tab?

And is the computer still randomly freezing?

#15 sweetkitten

sweetkitten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:30 AM

Yep