Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the most reliable and effective free anti-virus, mal/adware, firewall and/or internet security software available, to-date?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bshane06

bshane06

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:05 AM

This has been kicked around here for a while and there is even a pinned topic. However, that one is 3 yrs. old. The perimeters I seek are that it must have a pro version, be user-friendly and have been used by no less than five of of the administrators, moderators and advisers here on bleeping computer. I would say more, but that number may be too high. This means that those who reply can't be selling their product. I want the 'known' experts to be able to convey their expertise without having to deal with the rhetoric that usually accompanies this topic. Also, this should be updated on a continuous basis. That is because the things we're trying to protect ourselves from are continuous and persistent.

So, that said, the forum is yours! Please discuss it amongst yourselves and share with us, the unaware, unknowing, and the one's listening, your list of software that would protect us.

I shall call you the Knights of the Software Table. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihave2know

ihave2know

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:05 AM

I am interested in the answer to this question, too. Since I have my "brand new' computer up and going again, I want to know what to put on it.

#3 jackbrennan

jackbrennan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:19 AM

This is what i recommend to most people:

Free Anti-Virus - Antivir Free or Avast!
Malware/Spyware: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) - Super Anti-Spyware - Spybot S&D (With Immunisations). Only use one as real time detection, i use Mbam.
Firewall - For those with little IT knowedge i just say use the windows firewall. Otherwise - Zonealarm, although it takes a bit of setting up. I have also heard positive comments about a program called Winroute although i have never used it myself.
NAT Router (Most routers are NATs now): I couldn't stress this enough, even if you only have one computer connected by an ethernet cable, a NAT router is a godsend. It will filter out all unwanted packets from reaching your computer which can inturn thwart worms like sasser and other random malware.
Hosts File - Update your HOSTS file. There is a sticky in this forum.

Edited by jackbrennan, 11 April 2010 - 04:21 AM.

Australia by birth, Norway by marriage.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:07 AM

Hi Jack,

I don't think you and are qualified to answer this thread, lol, we are not among the elite here and the op only wants the opinion of the elite, lol

#5 jackbrennan

jackbrennan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:26 AM

:thumbsup: True. I guess i should remove my last post then seeing as it was uninformed and misleading!
Australia by birth, Norway by marriage.

#6 bshane06

bshane06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:21 AM

:thumbsup: Rhetoric. It can be funny... sometimes.

Edited by bshane06, 11 April 2010 - 09:22 AM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

been used by no less than five of of the administrators

There are only 4 that come under the staff heading of administrator here. :thumbsup:

You're right, humor can be found in the discussion of malware, and related products. :flowers:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 bshane06

bshane06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:19 AM

OK, everyone. No consensus on which is the best one? An opportunity lost, I guess. Oh, well. If there is one, someday, be sure to post it. I'm sure that ihave2know and I aren't the only one's who are curious and want to know you're experienced opinion. Search engines these days aren't very reliable and searching through a few hundred posts after using the 'search posts/threads' to narrow it down isn't very efficient either.

Despite this hitting of the wall, I do appreciate the help you all give.

Thanks!

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:36 AM

Well, I know what you're trying to get at, bshane06, but the truth is, there is no consensus. A variety of security software is used by BC's members and staff.

If you want, we can drag each Staff member by their ankles into this topic and make them reply with their security software preferences (:thumbsup:).

To quote quietman7:

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

As a general rule, using more than one anti-spyware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntispyware, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, etc will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real time protection and others as stand-alone scanners. In fact, doing so increases your protection coverage without causing the same kind of conflicts or affecting the stability of your system that can occur when using more than one anti-virus. The overlap of protection from using different signature databases will aid in detection and removal of more threats when scanning your system for malware. However, if using all their real-time resident shields (TeaTimer, Ad-Watch, MBAM Protection Module, Spyware Terminator Shields, etc) together at the same time, there can be conflicts when each application tries to compete for resources and exclusive rights to perform an action. Additionally, competing tools may even provide redundant alerts which can be annoying and/or confusing.

Personally, I use Avast Free AV, built-in Windows Firewall, MBAM (free), and SUPERAntispyware (free). :flowers:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#10 bshane06

bshane06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:08 AM

Could you? Take pictures, too! :thumbsup: I understand that the world of computers as blown by when we had to type in every line and hit enter/run. I loved it when someone typed in something cool and it would look like a wave flowing down the screen. :trumpet: Ahh... the good ole days. Anyway, Apple or Mac isn't the only system out there (or Commadore 64, or ...), but to see if there was 1 or 2 or even 3 that was considered the most reliable and safe. There maybe numerous programs, but there are only so many companies that have the revenue to put out good software. For example, How many car models are there? Too many to count. How many car companies? Now, how many would you rely on to make a good car? It narrows it down dramatically. That's all I'm saying. Now, if we could only get the car companies to give cars away for free. They don't have to have all the bells and whistles. Just get me from point A to point B. :flowers::inlove: :) :cool: :huh: :woot: :(

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:17 AM

You know, you set the parameters for the answers you wanted to be programs that

"have a pro version, be user-friendly and have been used by no less than five of of the administrators,"

You totally ignored the fact that there are not five administrators, according to your original post, you do not anyone who isn't an administrator to give you their opinions and then you complain about the fact that you did not get the answer you desired.

I don't get that. Obviously you would not be able to get an answer with the parameters that you set.

Even though there is no perfect protection and security protection products are not a one size fits all type of thing, those of us who have been using those kind of products for years and years would have an opinion and would have been happy to share them with you, but you don't want to hear those.

Given all of that, I really do not see how you could have even the slightest complaint whatsoever that you did not get the information you requested here.

Btw, if you took a couple of minutes to look at the profiles of the staff members, you would atleast know what antivirus products some of them use and most of them do not use the same one

Edited by Stang777, 16 April 2010 - 02:34 AM.

#12 bshane06

bshane06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:37 AM

used by no less than five of of the administrators, moderators and advisers is what I said. You can usually find at least five people online at anytime who fit the qualifiers I set. I knew it would not be a simple answer, but thought that it would create some positive feedback from the people that we, those that visit this site, have come to trust with one of the most exciting yet frustrating items a person can own. I, also, thought it might negate some of the confusion that usually occurs when a person with little or no knowledge of computers is looking for an answer. This would allow for a quick and easy reference to this type of software.

Romans 7

21So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God's law; 23but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.
(NIV) Biblegateway

Just to make a point, taking things out of context can create problems that maybe unseen. If I left you with this passage, then life feels hopeless. However, if I add

Romans 8

Life Through the Spirit

1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,[a] 2because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.
(NIV Biblegateway

So, please, let me ask the question and, if able, answer the question, accordingly. If someone is not able, then don't.

Thank you.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2010 - 01:50 AM

My apologies

#14 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:50 AM

Just what we need, a religious nutcase forum!!!!!.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#15 kylezo

kylezo

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

Myopia ftw I always say

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users