Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/RW Drive assistance please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brad hidell

brad hidell

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 07:24 PM

I am using a Sony VIAO laptop, model PCD-FXA36, Windows XP Home. Approximately one week ago, I was attempting to manually delete programs to free up space on my hard drive. I accicentally erased my cd burning program, and must have erased other items as well, since my CD drive no longer responds to media. When I put in an audio CD, a small CD icon appears on the mouse arrow, and there are clicking noises in the CD drive, but nothing appears in the drive (E: drive) in My Computers, and no audio player will recognize CD. When I put in a DVD and attempt to play with Windows Media Player 10, the error message tells me there is no "compatible DVD decoder". I cannot reload software, since CD drive will not work, and I have tried restore points, but due to my previous lack of free memory issue, none were made prior to two days ago. There is nothing wrong with the hardware, I simply do not have the software to operate it. Sorry for long description--please advise. Thank you.
:thumbsup:

Edited by brad hidell, 20 September 2005 - 07:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:11 PM

XP can burn cds with its own software included in Windows XP.

You may have corrupted or deleted the driver for the cd device though.

To see if that is the case and/or to fix that go to your device manager which you can access by clicking on Start>settings>control panel>system>click on the hardware tab>click on device manager

Highlite DVD and CD Rom drives and click the + to the left to open the tree

double click on the cd drive

click on the driver tab and then click on "Update Drivers"

And/or

you can go to the Sony support site and get the latest updated software and drivers for your model.

Edited by Enthusiast, 20 September 2005 - 08:12 PM.

#3 brad hidell

brad hidell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for help. When I tried your suggestion, first clicking on the Update Driver Tab, the Hardware Update Wizard asked me to insert the CD that came with the hardware; but my CD drive still will not respond. I downloaded the only cd driver available for my model from Sony--when I installed it, message said it was already installed. I uninstalled and re-did it, but still nothing. The biggest problem I am having is that audio cd's won't play, though all the software seems to be intact. If anything else comes to mind, I would greatly appreciate it.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:09 AM

Have you tried going into the Device Manager and uninstalling the CD drive, rebooting, and seeing if XP will detect, and reinstall the drive?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

Are you sure the wire that enables the cd player to connect to the motherboard to play cds is connected? (audio out from the cd player. This is a single wire and not part of the ribbon cable)

Secondly, look through the device driver under sound, video and game controllers and see if anything there is flagged.

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 September 2005 - 11:11 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:28 PM

I wonder how you can conclude that the hardware is fine...when it does none of the functions it is designed to do.

a. It won't read CDs (non-music).

b. It won't play CDs (music).

A CD player...cannot play DVDs. DVD players can play both CDs and DVDs.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users