Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing 7 MB connection with 4-5 different devices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thetakara

thetakara

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

We have a 7 MB connection through Time Warner. Our router has been dropping out multiple times a week. We got a hold of TWC customer service and they sent out a technician. They were told that because we have 4-5 devices connected at the same time, we are maxing out our bandwidth and the router fizzes out for a few minutes, then everything is back to normal. The router dropping out usually lasts just a few minutes and that's it. We were told that each devices really only has like a 1 MB connect available to each. Is that true? And if it is, is there something we can use to stop this from happening? Like a bandwidth meter that slows individual connections if it gets too high. I'd rather my computer speed be slow that completely cut off. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

What router do you have?

How are they all connected? wired / wireless

What type of devices are you talking about?

What OS is on any computers you have?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 thetakara

thetakara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

The router is a netgear router that they replaced today (dunno what model number it is), and it still does it. The devices are 3-4 computers and a PS3. The OS on the computers is Windows 7 and one uses XP. One computer is wired and everything else is wireless.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:31 AM

Are they losing connection to just the router? or is the ISP connection dropping?

If its just the router, do they all lose connection?

What about the one that is wired?

Has it always been like this or just start?

I am willing to bet if the modem isn't dropping the connection that the wired one stays on and its just the wireless that is dropping.

EDIT: I'm sorry you asked a question about bandwidth metering. The answer is yes if you are willing to build your own router, out of an old PC with 2 NICs. Then you can install the software needed to do what you want. Or you could buy a much more expensive router with it built in, should be somewhere near $250. You might have looked into QoS, but it won't do what you want.

If I have assumed correctly that the modem isn't actually dropping its connection and its just the wireless devices that are losing connection, then it might not be too hard of a fix.

Edited by CaveDweller2, 10 April 2010 - 02:50 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 thetakara

thetakara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

We were told by the cable company that the problem was we were maxing out our bandwidth and when that happened the router would reboot. That doesn't make much sense to me. Sounds more like they are just trying to suck more money out of us for a higher net speed. xP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users