Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba L300

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trevork

trevork

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:30 PM

I bought two Toshiba L300, 1 for Son and 1 for Grand daughter. On both I down loaded recovery partition to DVD discs. There is also a restore disc with XP on it.

My Sons laptop when boots up, gives me the option of Launch Startup Repair (recommended) or Start Windows normally. Taking recommended option first, the Laptop boots up, you see the Toshiba Window with the option at the bottom, F2 for Setup Utility and F12 go to Boot Manager, the laptop then startes "loading files", after that you get a small Micro Soft window middle bottom of screen showing bars runing across it. after that the screen goes blank (black grey with back light showing) and hard disc LED is alluminated for a period of time and then goes off with no change to screen apart for the pointing device arrows displaying, and responds to movement of fingers on touch pad.

Start Windows Normally, the computer boots up, you see the Toshiba screen and then goes straight to the Micro Soft window bottom middle of screen, once that goes, the Laptop is in the same state as above.

Common to both situations above, their is no desktop, no response to the Windows key on the keyboard, and there is no action bar at the bottom in other words no way of getting to the files.

It will respond to F8 for Safe Start, Select Safe Mode and you see a list of drive files pass through on the screen and then halts asking you "Please wait" the LED for the hard disc is alluminated, it the goes back to "Launch Startup Repair" and terminates exactly the same as above.

In Safe Mode again select Last Known Good Configuration (advanced) finishes up as above, again. The other option on the Saf Mode screen I do not know how to use them so they have not been tried.

The F2 and F12 respond meaning I can get into the Setup Utility and Boot Manager, but once I exit, irrespective of what I have done the Laptop ends back in the situation as described above, a black screen.

The two discs I burnt from the recovery partition contain files on them, verified on a good machine and the two recovery discs with XP also have files on them. All four disc will not respond on the internal DVD drive or an external DVD drive.

I have contacted Toshiba for a recovery disc, which I suspect will not respond when placed in the DVD drive.

I have tried Rkill and Malwarebytes to no avail. There is no search box to type %UserProfile%\desktop in an attempt to see the desk top.

I suspect that my hard disc is hidden by malware such has Vista tools, which my Granddaughter had but I managed to remove it.

Can anyone suggest a possible solution. There is some data on the hard disc but I am prepared to lose that if I can get at the problem.

Thanking you in anticipation

Trevor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

I'm sorry sir, but I don't even begin to understand what your problem is. Let me post what I can decipher:

You bought your son and grand daughter similar computers. ITHINK you said you burned copies of the recovery partition to DVD. There is also a copy of XP on there? On the same disc, or do you have another disc with XP on it?

So, in your words: My Sons laptop when boots up, gives me the option of Launch Startup Repair (recommended) or Start Windows normally. Taking recommended option first, the Laptop boots up, you see the Toshiba Window with the option at the bottom, F2 for Setup Utility and F12 go to Boot Manager, the laptop then startes "loading files", after that you get a small Micro Soft window middle bottom of screen showing bars runing across it. after that the screen goes blank (black grey with back light showing) and hard disc LED is alluminated for a period of time and then goes off with no change to screen apart for the pointing device arrows displaying, and responds to movement of fingers on touch pad.

Ok, so how come when you turn the computer on, it doesn't just start up? Why are you trying to recover two computers? What happened that TWO computers went haywire? How didthey go haywire/ What made you put the recovery disc in them?

I'm not being a smart aleck, I really just don't understand what's going on here. What your problem is and what caused it.

#3 trevork

trevork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Hi Deathstalker,

thanks for your reply, and sorry if confused you. Basically Son hands back his Laptop and says "It dont work". Asked him what happened "I dont know".
So now I have a laptop which on booting gets as far as loading system files and then nothing else, just a black screen with a responding pointing device arrow.

Asking myself questions.

Is there an OS still there? Clues on this are, that it loads system files going into Safe mode, but does not complete the operation.

Is the system infected? Clues on this are that the Grandaughters machine was infected and when on clearing that the instructions said that the malware hides the desktop. My desktop is not visible, so is it possible my Son has got it infected some how? (Grandaughter used as a comparrison)

Recovery Partition transfered to DVD disc. The system came with a restore disc as well, with XP on it. Both disc have been compared with Grandaughters discs and appear to hold same data, but will not show up when used. (Again no Desktop ) Used in both external and internal drives.

So I have a laptop that boots up only as far as loading system files. I can access Safe mode via F8, Setup Utillity via F2 and Boot Manager via F12. Safe mode only goes as far as loading system files, when booting, in other words it does not complete its operation. Exiting F2 and F12 it goes back to just loading system files.

My own feelings on this is that it is infected with something like Vista Security Tools which hides the desk top. I can not load anything via DVD drives, so Rkill can not load. The other thing it I have considered it could be is the Hard Drive being toataly wiped by an infection.

I have probably confused you even more. But the amount of information from my Son does not help anyone.

I will not take offence if you give this up as a bad job.

Many thanks

Trevor

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

Please post a Posted Image in the Am I infected? What do I do? sub-forum with a description of your problem and the steps taken so far.

Please note: the Malware Response team are always overwhelmed, and it could take a few days to get your first reply. Just be patient and don't "bump" your topic by replying to it.

Edited by computerxpds, 10 April 2010 - 12:35 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

Ah..... I got you now. Sorry about the confusion last night.

Do what computerxpds suggested and have the malware pro's look at it. When they are done, if you are still having problems with the OS let us know and we can work on it from there.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users