Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[new notebook] Budget US$500

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toGETher

toGETher

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:03 PM

I am in desperate need to replace my old laptop.

Yeah, like my topic title states, budget $500 +/- $100.

I want something really fast, dvd/cd burner, HD graphic quality, minimum 320GB hd, big screen, awesome sound card, WiFi. (Catch: It travels with me everywhere, so lighter the better.)

What do I use it for? Work (MS Office, Quickbook), Hobby (Photoshop, Graphic Authority), Leisure (HD movies even Blu-Ray, remix music compilations)

Someone recommended: HP G70-460US

Just wondering if there has been anything else greater out there for that price range. One can hope can she?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

Hi toGether :)

Well First let me tell you that I have been selling computers and accessories for around 5 years know in the major retail U.S. stores.

Having said that I think the Hp G70 is a Good Value. But I know there are two Versions the Intel's and the Amd's (processor)

The Amd's come with a Graphic card, but I myself preffer the Inlet based processors.

The reason I am not to happy with HP is because they put a lot of junk ::) on the operating system, which means (Unless you remove the stuff)
you have a very slow computer because there software always is on.

A laptop around that price that is decent will be like the dell's, or if you can get your hans on a good toshiba.

For that price you will get all you need as far as System specs go: Dual Core, around 4Gb ddr1 or 2, and a 320-500GB hard drive.

And a tip: Really look into the computers that are in the ADS. Those are the best deals. As a employee we have to do a bait n switch :) .

I also suggest not to get the warranty, cause every time one of my custumers brings a laptop we tell them the same thing>Ohhh, yea thats not covered :blink:

So take your time don't get rushed into anything and just get what you need. Don't buy antivirus, cause it's free. :wacko:

To answer your Quest> Dell's, Toshibas, Hp, and Lenovo's (but that is just my opinion, this is like music we can never agree)
Good Luck.

Edited by JUICYboy, 09 April 2010 - 10:29 PM.

#3 toGETher

toGETher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:40 PM

Hello there JUICYboy. Thanks there.

I figure every new system has a lot of junk installed in it. I suppose I find a good one, and come back here to ask how to wash the O/S clean slate. :wacko:

Bait n Switch eh? :blink: Now I know why I never stepped into any store to purchase any of my stuff. I usually get most of my stuff online and shipped to me as advertised.

Well, any other suggestions? Any body else out there?

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

Hi, I bought a Toshiba L505D a few weeks ago for $529 at Office Depot. I really like it. I'm using it now, it has a dual core AMD, 2.3 with 4 gig of ram and 320 gig HDD.

There are others out there for a little bit more but I figured this was good for the price.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users