Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[U heard it B4] WD 500GB EXTERNAL HD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 toGETher

toGETher

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

So you may have heard it all before. :huh: [Long sigh... here I go with my sob story.]

My little niece, 1 y.o., is attracted to my laptop and ext. hd. Uh oh! You got it!
She drops my ext. hd, so I should cry right? Or get mad? Nah, I just sigh.
I tried to check if it still works. Yeah, right!
The box powers on, runs but nothing reads onto my laptop connection.
I hear something is off align in the hd box; probably a memory disc?
What to do now? I need some professional opinion.

Is there any way I can retrieve all the saved data? A lot of family photo albums are backed up in there.
I hope to transfer the data somehow. I can care less if the box is worth trash afterwards, just not before that data is recover.

PLEASE SOMEONE OUT THERE BE A GOD AND SALVAGE MY PIECE OF SH*T. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

Is there any physical damage to the drive that you can see?

It appears the drive is external, so I take it it is/was your secondary/backup drive am I correct?

OK, so it appears that when this drive is hooked up, you can't seem to access its contents.

You may be lucky and only have a data cable problem, such as a wire was pulled out of its connector during the fall, you could try diagnosing this wire using an Ohm meter to test for continuity between the connectors on either end of the data cable, or just replace it. That's the cheapest way to go for now. If your drive is damaged externally or internally, this may require a professional repair.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 April 2010 - 01:06 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users