Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Security trojan and something lingers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 charlie222

charlie222

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

I followed all the instructions to the letter from the article

Remove Internet Security 2010 (Uninstall Guide)Posted by Grinler on December 10, 2009 @ 11:37 AM

and got a clean bill of health from Malwarebytes, and ran it a few more times. Infection still there. Ran it a bunch more times, also ran Spynomore and AVG at least a dozen times each, infection still there and actually seems to be worse, since at first it was only when using a web browser, but now it starts opening warnings instantly as soon as I start windows. Also tried to do a system rollback, but only got a message that rollback is not possibly because there have been no changes to my computer. Any help will be appreciated. Am willing to pay to get rid of this problem. Thanks in advance.

My first post here, apologies if this is in the wrong forum or violates some other rule.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

Hello, I split you to your own topic,always better,As you 2 are going in different directions..
Please post your last MBAM log
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 charlie222

charlie222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

Thank you very kindly for the reply.

I downloaded SDS and ATF to another machine, transferrred to the desktop of the sick machine, installed ATF, stopped the scan that it automatically started, installed ATF.

Now when I attempt to run SAS so I can update it the message I get is

Windows cannot accesss the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

This same message appears when I try to open Malwarebytes on the sick computer.

What should be my next step?

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by charlie222, 10 April 2010 - 03:06 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

If Vista..Check to see if Windows has blocked access to the file because it is "unsafe." Right-click the file, choose Properties, and then click the Unblock button.

Or XP
Right click on the windows folder.

Goto properties.

Goto security

Goto advanced

Click on your username

Tick take ownership

Hit OK, if asked say all files and subfolders.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 charlie222

charlie222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

My problem might be that I don't know what is meant by 'the windows folder' in "right-click the windows folder..."

I tried right-clicking the icon to start AMB, no security tab in properties.
Then tried the other antimalware program icons on the desktop, no securty tab in the properties selection.
Then I tried the same program from inside 'All Programs'.
Then I tried a lot of folders on the desktop and in All Programs and icons in Control Panel
Then I tried the folders in the Start menu
Then I tried, I forget, a whole lot of other stuff.

I never found a selection or tab for security in the properties selection on anything I tried.

I downloaded and installed the pay version of Spywaredoctor on a good computer, and after trying it several different ways, got the program to start on the sick machine (a window for it was already open, waiting for a registration number) and entered the registration key and ran a full scan.

That done, it became possible to start ATF, so I did that

After running ATF it became possible to open SAS, and it is running now

Still not able to open Malwarebytes on the sick computer, I hope I have not destroyed the logs by doing this out of order.

Thanks again for your patience and help on this. I am not trying to flood the forum with pointless chat, but wanted to give a description in case anyone wanted it.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:59 AM

No, Info is good Iam looking up some alternatives. Posst the SAS when you get it.

#7 charlie222

charlie222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:00 PM

SAS Scan Completed, now it is possible to open MBAM. Here is the most recent log. I believe this is from before I ran any of the programs recommended here.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3961

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

4/7/2010 9:38:01 PM
mbam-log-2010-04-07 (21-38-01).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 261485
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 9 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

edit a few hours later: Am on fifth try on ESET scan. It keeps stalling in applications folder. The first time it stopped on Apple mobile device control, so I removed that program. This time is stopped on files scanned 20606, something in applications that ends with \contacts.msf

Doesn't sound like anything I need, so I will remove that program, assuming I can find it.

The computer is still infected. I opened an Internet Explorer window and it was hijacked to some shopping guide.

Edited by charlie222, 11 April 2010 - 07:10 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

OK, So things are actually performing normally again..
For the record about... How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

We should still run an Online scan to see if there is anything left..

ESET
Please perform a scan with Eset Online Antiivirus Scanner.
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. Right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green ESET Online Scanner button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box: YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click on the Start button next to it.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then click Insall ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?"".
  • Answer Yes to download and install the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start.
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications.
  • Click Scan to start. (please be patient as the scan could take some time to complete)
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • When the scan has finished, a log.txt file will be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
  • Click Posted Image > Run..., then copy and paste this command into the open box: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The scan results will open in Notepad. Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

#9 charlie222

charlie222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

That last SAS scan said it found two tracking cookies. An automatic AVG scan that ran during the SAS scan reported four items, two of which it said were inaccessible trojans. I'm running it again since clicking "finish" on SAS caused a restart, and If AVG saves a log, I don't know how to find it.

edit: just now saw the post above. I will run that scan as soon as the avg one finishes and post results when it completes.

Edited by charlie222, 11 April 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

I don't know your AVG version.
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/download-documentation

#11 charlie222

charlie222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

Have made six attempts on running the ESET scan, has stopped last three times on 20,606 files scanned, a mozilla profile. I have a folder in Mozilla with a large number of messages in it, I will try deleting that folder.

The computer is still infected. I opened an Internet Explorer window and it was hijacked to some shopping guide.

My AVG version is 9.0.801, which does not appear to be in the list on that page. I could attempt to update AVG.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

We need a deeper look and some stronger tools.. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 and not here,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.

#13 charlie222

charlie222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

I completely uninstalled Mozilla, but the ESET scan still hung up on 20,602 files scanned, mozilla profile. Trying again.

The Spywaredoctor ran an autoscan and found SpyNoMore, and rated it as a highly dangerous threat. I did not remove it because SpyNoMore is the one that found the trojan that AVG, Spybot, and some others could not see about a year ago.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:21 PM

Did you run ESET from IE? It needs that.

Did SpyNoMore remove or only find?
Some thing to consider with that Appp... http://www.articlesbase.com/security-artic...-pc-855989.html

An alternate Online scanner
Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner
Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!
Follow the Instruction here for installation.
Accept the License Agreement.
Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
Once the download completes, the scan will begin automatically.
The scan will take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.
Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

#15 charlie222

charlie222
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:26 PM

1. Yes, ran it from a window in IE
2. Yes, SpyNoMore got rid of that infection. The infection was one that opened popups, hijacked searches, and generally was similar to the infection I have now. SpyNoMore had been recommended to my by a guy who writes an advice column (The Digital Dentist) and sets up, repairs, and maintains computer systems for dental practices.
However, I just read the article you linked. Guess I'll get rid of SNM.

Although I had used the uninstaller to take out Mozilla, I still found some folders labelled Mozilla and Thunderbird. Each had a bunch of subfolders. I deleted those and restarted.

New attempt at scanning with ESET Online Scanner paused for about five minutes at 20,613 files scanned, then began scanning again, and has paused for a minute or two a few more times. Now proceeding slowly, with pauses. When it either finishes or locks up completely I'll run the f-secure scanner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users