Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure out what my friend did

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 AmyR

AmyR

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

Hi everyone,
How are you all doing?
Hoping someone maybe able to help figure out what needs to be done to correct some things a friend of mine did to my computer.
It looks like some of the directories are also possibly now missing after what he did. He isn't understanding the questions when we try and ask what all he did. Doesn't seem to understand he messed everything up as bad as he really did is the other thing too.
One of the things that happens is when I right click on one of the folders, it says Location: (archive root directory).
Trying to understand what that Archive root directory is.
I've typed in searches to try and understand what an archive root directory is, and not sure if I understand totally. I know a directory is a folder, but do the slashes I see, or some other punctuation what I need to look for in order to find this root directory?
The reason I wonder if the whole directory is missing in some places is because like when you open things up, in like the coding, it will have like
<a href="/">parent directory</a>
so, then nothing before the /.
But some things that do seem to be working do have stuff typed before and the / and even after the /.
Looks like maybe things maybe in the .bak file that is in the stuff. So, hopefully if something is missing can be restored.
My brother-in-law who knows alot about computers understands things about partitions and stuff like that and restoring things, all that kind of stuff. So, the next time he is over, looks like he may have to do this. But not sure when he will get a chance to come over, and also just want to figure out somewhat ahead of time what all he may need to do.

Thanks,
Amy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

I always feel that direct, simple paths...are the best. Why don't you ask your friend...what was done to your system...and further ask that such changes be undone, if you don't like them?

IMO, you haven't provided sufficient info for anyone to make an intelligent wild guess what it might be that you consider "wrong" with your system.

Louis

#3 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

That is the other problem. I've already tried to ask him and he doesn't seem to be getting the emails I send him.
Then when he replies his replies make absolutely no sense either is the other thing that keeps happening.
He is telling me to fix the things he did.
Due to my health and other physical handicaps I have is why I can't do these things in the first place.
Due to all the screw ups repairmen make all the time, anytime someone says they are going to do something that sounds like it will be incorrect, we stop it before it goes any further of course.
That remote access/assistance thing is what was just done.

I wish he didn't do what he did, and before he did what he did, I tried to send him an email to stop him from doing what he said he was going to do, which looks like he did not receive that email because he went ahead and did the things I said not to do in the email.

But anyways, the other thing like I said is the Archive root directory. Could someone please explain to us what exactly that is to make sure we are understanding what this is?
Is that what the slash / means? A directory? Nothing is typed before or after the slash. So, it looks like stuff has been erased.
We also keep noticing a .bak file, and maybe that would be what we need to use to restore things if things need to be restored or changed? Certain accounts I can't even get into anymore due to what was done, it asks for the previous things and stuff. But he changed it, so now the previous stuff, would be the new stuff, which in the emails that have gone through properly, he doesn't even understand the questions. So, that is the other big mess here too.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

The terms "archive" "root" and "directory" are three of the most commonly used words in computing and predate every version of windows and even DOS and the personal computer.

The terms can be combined to mean several dozen things depending on the order and context as well as syntax, used around them. Marketers have further polluted the possible meanings of phrases using these words.

Your description therefore comes across as incomprehensible nonsense. This is not your fault.

If you can be more precise, perhaps post screen shots, and start with one specific thing that you want to do that does not work, we may still be able to help you.

Perhaps someone with less experience with computers could guess what kind of problem you have, but my 20 years of experience in Unix, Linux, windows and mac os's means I an rendered nearly paralyzed by your description.

Don't give up. Someone may be able to help once we have a clue to grasp.

#5 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

Hi,
Thank you so much everyone.

Yes, I have lots of screen shots.
One of the problems I keep having is with it seems options that use to be there are no longer there.
Like in order to change things such as the colors and appearance of things. It is all gray and stuff. It didn't use to look like that.
I am looking at my mom's computer right now, which is also what I'm using to send this message.
Hers has options that mine doesn't seem to have anymore but use too.

So, here is the pictures. The 1st one is of the taskbar, so you can see what I mean how it is grayish, and use to be blue, and the start button use to be green, but as you can see is not anymore.

Also, one of the other problems I keep having, is trying to figure out what is going on with my login stuff. Back in December of 2008 I got totally locked out of the computer, and still not 100% sure what caused that. The repairman my mom called didn't even fix the problem really. When he brought the computer back, it came up with that message again. Then someone else at another computer help forum did help me possibly figure out what caused the problem. A checkmark was next to the thing that says "On resume, password protect". Someone said that hitting the windows key and another button at can cause that to happen. Which sometimes with all my handicaps and all I have going on, causes me to shake and stuff and accidentally hit things. So, I guess that could have been what happened. Not sure.
My health has been worse lately, and it affects my brain and memory problems is one of the issues I have.

But here is some other things so maybe someone can help me on what exactly is the correct thing I need to type if anything each time I turn the computer on for a username and password. Still sometimes get confused on what the correct things are. Some things say, username, display name, login, etc.. So, I'm not sure exactly the difference between each of those names are.
I know what an email address is, or at least I thought I did. But then some things that happen when I try and type my email address tell me it's invalid even though it isn't. So, I have no idea what is going on there either.

Here is a picture of the control panel,
and another area I have that shows my name, but then if you look at that and compare it to this other area that shows the user profiles of my whole computer, it says like AmyR, and Amy is not what it says there, which is really confusing.
So, here it is, the user accounts area and then the user profiles area.
So, like I said, since Amy is what is listed in the user accounts area, then I would think it should list that in the user profiles area, but it doesn't and AmyR is there but not in the user accounts area, like Amy is.

One of these days I want to get everything setup to where I don't have multiple usernames and passwords to keep track of. I see all over the place that you can set things up to do it that way. So, I'll just need a bit of help so I don't accidently mess things up trying to do this.
Here is one of my other accounts I go to all the time, and here is the login screen for that too. As you can see it has a place to type username and password. But then the only other thing some people don't seem to understand when I ask them things like how to back things up. Since I keep having problems with getting hacked and stuff, I have lost so many things too due to it.
I've taken so many computer classes though which I did get A's in, so not knowing how to do this stuff is not the issue. Since my health has gotten worse, has caused me to forget a bit of how to do some things, but then the other thing is sometimes when I go where people tell me to do to back things up, I can't even find the options they said would be there.
Or sometimes seems to be in a totally different location than where they said to go, so then I'm not sure if I should do this or not, so I don't do it.

Attached Files

#6 666philb

666philb

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

hi amyr,

I'm not certain that this is what you meant, so let me know if it isn't...... there's pictures to go with it as well.

To change the control panel back, first of all open 'MY COMPUTER', then at the top of the screen select 'TOOLS', then select 'FOLDER OPTIONS',

this opens a new window, near the top in the 'TASKS' section, select the 'SHOW COMMON TASKS IN FOLDERS' option, and then press 'APPLY'.

This will change your control panel back to what you're used to.

Then to change your taskbar back

Go into the 'CONTROL PANEL', select 'APPEARANCE AND THEMES', then select 'CHANGE COMPUTER THEME', you can then select the theme that you prefer, remember to press 'APPLY' when your done.

some pics to help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   39.21KB   9 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   37.2KB   8 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   68.84KB   11 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   51.25KB   7 downloads
  • Attached File  6.jpg   32.4KB   6 downloads

#7 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hi,
Thank you so much for all the great pictures.
I looked and those settings are already what they should be. Didn't have to change anything.
Show common tasks in folders was already marked.

When I went to Control Panel, same thing that keeps happening keeps happening. The options that use to be there are no longer there. So, I can't change things.
One of the things I think my friend did was something that disables things. That is one of the things he said that happens when you rename the files he did and he did not rename them back either. He also mentioned in one of his emails about possibly writing a script to remove certain things, but I wasn't too clear on what exactly he was going to write a script to remove either.
So, I'm scared this maybe what he has done and maybe that is why I no longer have those options.
But maybe it's all in the .bak file that is there. I hope. Since I sort of thought that all software/programs make some sort of a backup file thing that you can use to restore things that the stuff maybe accidently removes things it wasn't suppose to remove.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

I cannot help much but I can tell you something about the names being different in the different areas for user accounts.

The one area for them that you get to through Control Panel, User Accounts will show the name differently than the one in System Properties. I can't really explain it in any way other than to tell you why it is different on my system and I suspect something like this is what happened on yours.

When I got this computer, the user name was my dads. I went into User Accounts in Control Panel and changed the name of that account to my name. I believe I also changed the name of the profile in Documents and Settings, however, that could have changed automatically when I made the change in Control Panel User Accounts. It has been a couple of years so I cannot really remember for sure if I did the the change in Doc and Settings, but I think I did and I think I did that first.

In any case, after doing that, when I look at the name in User Accounts through System Properties, it still shows my dads name, as do all the cookies and everything else that relies on the original user name for the profile being used. It shows my name in the Control Panel User Accounts and even for the name of the folder in Documents and Settings that contains the profile

The only way to change that and have the name be the same in both places seems to be to create a new profile with the name one wants to use and use that profile. I have even gone into the registry and changed the name of the registered owner to mine and even though that shows up in System Properties for the reg owner, it did not change the name in those other places.

Personally, I just found it easier to live with his name being all over my computer, good thing I love him or it would be really annoying to see his name on my computer all the time, lol.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

As to the colors, did you right click on the desktop, select properties, then select settings to check and see if the color quality is set to the right level?

If not, give that a shot and select the highest one you can.

I think you have probably already done these next things but just in case you didn't, I will mention them.

If you did not use a theme, but rather just manually set the colors individually, you can change those by clicking on the Appearance tab from that same window you checked the color setting in and choosing a color scheme from the drop down list towards the bottom of that page and selecting one there.

If that doesn't give you what you had, then maybe you used a theme so double check to make sure you have the right theme selected by clicking on Themes in that same window you checked the color setting in. If your usual theme is not selected there, then click on the drop down list and select it from there or click on browse and find what you usually use.

If none of that makes things look like you want, then check in Accessibility Options in the Control Panel and see if any funky things have been set up in there. I cannot really remember what kind of things is in there, and my computer doesn't like me going in there, so I am not going to, but there might be something hindering the colors and such in there.

Btw, if this were my system, I would use System Restore to restore the computer to the day before your friend made the changes. It does not always undo all changes, but it often undoes things most people do not think of it undoing and I would give it a shot if it takes more than a few minutes to undo the things I do not like.

Edited by Stang777, 11 April 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#10 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

I cannot help much but I can tell you something about the names being different in the different areas for user accounts.

The one area for them that you get to through Control Panel, User Accounts will show the name differently than the one in System Properties. I can't really explain it in any way other than to tell you why it is different on my system and I suspect something like this is what happened on yours.

When I got this computer, the user name was my dads. I went into User Accounts in Control Panel and changed the name of that account to my name. I believe I also changed the name of the profile in Documents and Settings, however, that could have changed automatically when I made the change in Control Panel User Accounts. It has been a couple of years so I cannot really remember for sure if I did the the change in Doc and Settings, but I think I did and I think I did that first.

In any case, after doing that, when I look at the name in User Accounts through System Properties, it still shows my dads name, as do all the cookies and everything else that relies on the original user name for the profile being used. It shows my name in the Control Panel User Accounts and even for the name of the folder in Documents and Settings that contains the profile

The only way to change that and have the name be the same in both places seems to be to create a new profile with the name one wants to use and use that profile. I have even gone into the registry and changed the name of the registered owner to mine and even though that shows up in System Properties for the reg owner, it did not change the name in those other places.

Personally, I just found it easier to live with his name being all over my computer, good thing I love him or it would be really annoying to see his name on my computer all the time, lol.

Thank you for explaining all this. Looks like maybe this could be why I also keep getting locked out of alot of my accounts. Still not sure what is going on.
See, when I go to the cookies, it is really weird and I can't figure out what is going on either.
Like one of my accounts I login using the username AmyR2.
But in the cookies, it doesn't show that, and if I use my mom's computer at all for things, it shows my mom's name in the cookies and not my user name, and it's for sites she doesn't use at all and we are wondering if someone is somehow doing something wrong here that is causing things to get locked out of things and messed up?
One of the accounts I keep getting locked out of the most is my account on a site called 'Funtrivia' where one of the things we can do there, not everyone does it though, is create quizzes. The tech support though seems to be a bit confused on what all is happening too. They even keep blaming me for registering as AmyR3 instead of AmyR2. The reason I had to do that is because it said AmyR2 was taken, so I put a 3. So, they changed it to AmyR2 since I was suppose to use that even though like I said, it wouldn't allow me.

#11 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

You are very welcome and I do not know if that would cause the other problems you just described above.

I was posting another post about the same time you posted, and edited it after, so check out my second post too.

Btw, you really do not need to quote the posts, just use the reply button at the bottom of the page

Edited by Stang777, 11 April 2010 - 06:48 PM.

#12 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

Just saw your 2nd post.
Yes, already tried right clicking on the desktop.
I also am comparing things to my mom's computer, and mine does not have the options that hers does is the problem.
Yes, tried system restore, and that doesn't seem to be working properly either.
The other thing is that new things have been done after my friend made these changes too. So, then if we did system restore, would mess these things up too, and the stuff has to do with stuff such as credit card information, and so much other things. I tried to explain these things to my friend before he did the things he did, but he didn't seem to even get the emails when I tried to tell him to not do what he said he was going to do. Since I knew if he does what he did, would mess things up.

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

You should not store any credit card info on your system ever.

What do you mean that System Restore did not work properly?

#14 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, but don't know what to do about having to buy things, so then the computer stores everything that you typed in.
plus one of my accounts also has me login using my social security number. That is because my social
security number is my user name for the account I have at my college here.
Plus everything gets sent in emails too. Like for example, in chats you have with like Dell the other day, the whole conversation got sent to my email. So, everything I just told them in the chat, is now in the emails.
So, if someone hacks in my email, which I keep having problems with that too because of accounts I've lost due to not being able to get in anymore and then when I try to reset things the information doesn't match anymore either.

System restore is another thing that has been disabled too. So, when I tried to do it, I couldn't do anything.
I tried to turn it on, but still wouldn't do anything. So, that is one of the other functions my friend disabled.

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

Your social security number needs to be removed as your user name, the college would not insist you use a name that puts you at GREAT risk of identity theft. CHANGE IT, if you can't, then ask, no, demand, the college to. You should never use that number for things like that.

Why does the computer store your credit card info? It should not do that, mine doesn't.

Do you have a program that logs everything you type?

If so, you should not be typing in credit card numbers on the computer, you are opening yourself up big time for credit card/identity theft.

If you must use a credit card on a computer that is not secure, and one that logs your credit card info is not secure, then use a prepaid one that you can use all at once.

If you have it set to keep your credit card numbers stored in it for convenience sake, change it. It is a lot less inconvenient to type that number in every time you buy something than it is to fight thousands of dollars worth of charges that you did not do but someone who got hold of your credit info did.

I know of someone who has been a victim of identity theft and he is not only having to fight many tens of thousands of dollars in credit card charges, but pay thousands of dollars to an attorney to try to fight it. It also takes a lot of time to do it and it ruins the ability to get future credit. Credit rating gets shot by something like that.

Please take steps to protect yourself.

Btw, System Restore does not effect emails, but since that is not working, it is a moot point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users