Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This might work better here

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ExitiumMachina

ExitiumMachina

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

About a week ago my boot crashed and I had to do a repair install of Windows XP which went otherwise fine. After the repair install XP booted fine right into Windows and everything seemed to be fine, so I updated all of my drivers (graphics, sound, motherboard, bios.)

However, my system runs choppy, and I don't have a system that should run choppy with what it is running choppy with. I'm trying to play NBA 2K10 which before my boot crashed ran just fine, smooth as butter, now it runs choppy as in I get good FPS's according to the benchmark and Fraps (somewhere around 80 usually) but it hits parts of the game where the framerate gets choppy but stays at the 80 or so FPS's. I think I've pretty much gone through everything with this issue, I've defragged my harddrive a number of times, ran virus/malware/spyware scans a number of times, and even ran a registry cleaner a good few times (which keeps coming up with missing file extensions). I think it has to do with my other user account that I can't access through Windows login and can't delete because it contains important files, I actually have two of them, I'm not sure where the second one came from though. Either way, as a last ditch effort before I completly wipe my system clean I figured I would ask the professionals.

Windows XP SP3
Q9550 rated @2.83GHz
3.50GB RAM (4 but XP only sees 3.50)
BFG 260GTX H2OC 896MB

I can provide any logs needed.

Edited by ExitiumMachina, 09 April 2010 - 01:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

First off we here at Bleepingcomputer do not advise the use of registry cleaners,

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.--------------------

Your errors in the reg cleaners pointing to missing .dll files does not mean you are missing those .dll files, it just means in a lot of cases, the registry program does not see the link associated with the program, to the .dll file, in some cases a registry cleaner will delete the .dll file in order to resolve the problem.

You may use a registry cleaner to see what possible errors it finds, but I would NOT recommend allowing it to FIX the problem, instead look in your Windows/system32/drivers/ folder to see if the .dll is there, if it is missing then you will need to locate the .dll file and add it to that directory.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ExitiumMachina

ExitiumMachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 01:02 AM

I know...but after I lost my main account due to the boot crash I suffered I had to clean up the registry a bit because there were old entries in there that didn't do anything anymore. I kept an eye on what I deleted and have all of the backups, six of them I believe, and so far I haven't encountered any program issues so I think it went relatively fine. I mainly used CCleaner's registry cleaner, the first time it came up with a ton of old entries that were no longer in use, which is the main reason I used it so that I didn't have to dig through my registry to delete them.

Either way I stopped using it, but can backup if needed.

I have a family member that works on computers for a living and said it might be that my motherboard is going out, but I've stressed tested every part of my hardware and it ran fine...so I'm clueless as to what the issue is. That's why I think it has something to do with my registry, but I'm done going through it because the other entries that CCleaner picks up are necessary files. I manually deleted the dead account but there is a file folder that keeps coming up with an error with a bunch of boxes and a few symbols mixed in saying "cannot find specified file," but it is an empty folder so I don't think it is doing much. The temps were running high recently on my motherboard at about 60 degrees celsius, so I checked that the fan was on it alright and it was loose so I tightened it up. Now my temps are at 48-50 under stress for motherboard and graphics card is usually about 40 or so.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:35 AM

You might want to try adding some new thermal paste to that processor, it helps a lot and seeing how you said it was loose, it wouldn't hurt to double check the condition of what paste there might be on it now.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 ExitiumMachina

ExitiumMachina
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

You can place solved or close this. I found out that my DMA mode was changed on my harddrive and DVD-ROM to PIO, I'm sure you know of a better way to explain this than I do as I just used a program from this link: http://winhlp.com/node/10 under #1.

Now I'm curious as to why the DMA was changed...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users