Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

getting a DOS driver for new printer to use in wp51 word processor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hope some of you old timers familiar with DOS and new printers can help me.

The problem: I purchased a great Kyocera FS 1300D printer, which is great.

I have had three prior Kyocera printers and they all installed the driver into my Wordperfect WP51 printer files section without problem and would run them fine and print with this DOS program.

The new printer, however, does not do this. I am sure there is a way to do this.

I have spent hours fooling around. Since the printer is "PCL" compliant, it should be able to do this.

The problem is that this printer does not have a parallel port, which we previously used for WP51

printing, on the prior printers.

Therefore, I have two problems:

1. I need to get my old printer drivers which I have already installed in WP51 for prior printers to PRINT TO THE USB PORT INSTEAD OF BEING DESIGNATED FOR A PARALLEL PORT PRINTING INTERFACE.

I tried doing this within WP51 but it does not work. I am told there must be a DOS command to allow me to do this.

Who is the wise guru out there who can help me with this.

2. I did go to the KYOCERA web site and downloaded a new PCL printer driver to my computer, however when I transfer the file in the main WP51 directory, where all printer files, .PRS files and .ALL files are, it does not work.

Of course, I forgot to mention that the driver for the new printer does not install into wp51, even when I go into the printer section and try to put it in under "other printers".

For your information, wordperfect calls directories which bundle printer drives files with a .all suffix, or ALL files.

The sub files in the ALL file which are the actual printer driver files are designated with suffix .prs. For instance, there will be a PRS file for HP, for Kyocera etc,

3. I even when on a generic driver site to try to get a driver, but it is useless.

4. I think the key is to get the current older Kyocera driver to print to the USB instead of a parallel port.

Can somebody help me with this so that I may use this printer for my DOS wordprocessor wp51??

I have danced around with this problem through reference books and can't get a direct answer, although I have tried many things. The DOS command which I found is called C:\copy con (and name of port), which is supposed to install to the USB and print out something for you.. When I type: copy con USB and press ENTER, then Ctrl L and Enter and then Ctrl Z and Enter, as instructed in the wp51 Reference manuarl page 909, a message comes up asking whether I want to "overwrite USB"? I am afraid to over write anything without knowing the result and I don't want to screw up the new printer's use of the USB port. So I respond "NO" and then it states 'No files copied', which of course is not what I want.

Why doesn't it just copy the file to a new virtual USB port, and designate it, for instance: USB.1, USB.2 etc.?

Anyone's knowledgeable assistance on this would be appreciate. I am pretty familiar with DOS but this has me stumped. To an expert, it will probably be easy. HELP!

44 Guy

p.s.

If you never tried a Kyocera printer, I recommend them highly, both because the drums last almost forever and the toner use is reasonable...they have been found to be very reliable by me, and I have had four for them for my business so far.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Remember that Word Perfect 5.1 and DOS existed well before USB ports were invented.

Are you running WP51 inside of Windows or in a pure DOS environment?
Which version of either?

I did find this for you.
Its a long read and must be run in a Windows environment

Consider a USB to LPT adapter. That might work
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

Remember that Word Perfect 5.1 and DOS existed well before USB ports were invented.

Are you running WP51 inside of Windows or in a pure DOS environment?
Which version of either?

I did find this for you.
Its a long read and must be run in a Windows environment

Consider a USB to LPT adapter. That might work

Running WP51 with windows XP, but as a 16 bit program, not a pure DOS environment. Comes up in its own dox type window, although sometimes the computer gets afu and brings it up in a Windows Window, which I promptly close.
Thank you so much. I will read this thoroughly. I have gotten several good leads today. There is also a
program which captures the print document to an LPT1 port then re directs same to the USB---I'm not a software engineer, but I now appreciate that this CAN be accomplished. One needs the proper DOS commands.....or you can try one of these programs....I downloaded one made in Italy.....I hope it works better than the Italian Army (Let's here it for Il Duce!)

I'll do a post when I finally work this thing out to let everyone know how I solved the problem with the help of all.
I'm not completely computer illiterate and have some EE background, but this programing stuff is a little exotic for me. One of these days I have to take courses on it, just for the hell of it! This site is so great!
44 guy

#4 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,466 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

It has been so long I have possibly forgotten.

Anyways

Copy con means copy console and it creates a file.

so when you typed copy con and named the port you created a file. (cobwebs)
...would of needed a ctrl Z to close the line

You might try
c:\print filename lpt1
In Command Prompt type"help" for a list of commands

excuse me if I am off on the syntax bc that was like 20 years ago

EDIT
I'm am pretty sure I still have my old WP 5.0 disks and license

reveal codes rocked

Edited by Martel, 26 October 2010 - 11:03 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:23 AM

As Martel says the command COPY CON USB will direct console output (keyboard) to a device or file called USB. DOS has no device called USB, so a disk file of that name will be created. If a file of that name already exists it will be overwritten, hence the warning. It won't establish a USB device.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,466 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:05 PM

44guy

The answer from Platypus hits the nail on the head. (I found no further answers).

I have located a little more info on your situation at WPUniverse aka WPU Forums A wonderful find for me as a WordPerfectŠ User from wayyyy back.

it is as follows...
The method for printing from a Virtual PC DOS computer is this.

1. Install the method in the link above (the link Platypus supplied above) that lets you print from WPDOS to any Windows printer. Accept the default setting that uses C:\TEMPWP as the directory for sending print files.

2. Install WPDOS in a DOS "virtual machine" in Virtual PC (as described in an earlier thread). The "virtual machine" is known as a "guest" machine; your actual physical Windows computer is known as the "host" machine.

3. Use the Virtual PC "shared folders" feature to share the C:\TEMPWP folder on the "host" machine so that it the "guest" virtual machine sees that folder as drive P:; use the option to share this folder every time.

4. In the copy of WPDOS on the "guest" virtual machine, choose a Postscript printer driver (say, the Apple LaserWriter II NTX or the special Ghostscript drivers available at wpdos.org). Set the printer "port" to be this filename: P:\WPDOS.PS

You can now print from WPDOS on the "guest" to any Windows printer connected to the "host" machine.

Thanks to WordPerfectŠ Universe

#7 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

44guy

The answer from Platypus hits the nail on the head. (I found no further answers).

I have located a little more info on your situation at WPUniverse aka WPU Forums A wonderful find for me as a WordPerfectŠ User from wayyyy back.

it is as follows...
The method for printing from a Virtual PC DOS computer is this.

1. Install the method in the link above (the link Platypus supplied above) that lets you print from WPDOS to any Windows printer. Accept the default setting that uses C:\TEMPWP as the directory for sending print files.

2. Install WPDOS in a DOS "virtual machine" in Virtual PC (as described in an earlier thread). The "virtual machine" is known as a "guest" machine; your actual physical Windows computer is known as the "host" machine.

3. Use the Virtual PC "shared folders" feature to share the C:\TEMPWP folder on the "host" machine so that it the "guest" virtual machine sees that folder as drive P:; use the option to share this folder every time.

4. In the copy of WPDOS on the "guest" virtual machine, choose a Postscript printer driver (say, the Apple LaserWriter II NTX or the special Ghostscript drivers available at wpdos.org). Set the printer "port" to be this filename: P:\WPDOS.PS

You can now print from WPDOS on the "guest" to any Windows printer connected to the "host" machine.

Thanks to WordPerfectŠ Universe

#8 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:54 PM

Okay, Thanks to Martel and Platypus.....I'll try this "virtual PC" method, but I don't seem to see the previous post that you refer to.

This is actually, I believe, the way a program PRINTFIL works... a British program which I tried, but aborted because they were sending me "update" messages every fifth of a second. How annoying.

I know this can be done and I'm sure you are on the right track. I just have to find the time to screw around with this, which I will, as this problem is really annoying to me.

I am a declared chamption of WP51 Dos based wordprocessor which is light years ahead of the point and click menus of today's versions.....once you master the keyboard commands, which become like second nature...you don't even think about them.

When I used the current WP or Word, I can't believe how long it takes to go through all the menus and crap. Bring back DOS!

44 Guy

#9 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:04 PM

Sorry I should of been more clear

It was the post by Eyesee that directed to the WPDOS printing

EDIT
Eyesee posted the link to the solve.

Edited by Martel, 01 November 2010 - 06:49 PM.

#10 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:06 AM

Sorry I should of been more clear

It was the post by Eyesee that directed to the WPDOS printing

EDIT
Eyesee posted the link to the solve.

Okay, Thanks Martel. I'm on it. Will let you all know how I make out.
44 guy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users