Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Problems with Display Properties

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dkrypted

dkrypted

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:02 AM

Hello, I've noticed that my screen saver power settings were all of a sudden changing. I recently started all over on my computer because of this. I'm not sure if it is a virus or not because if I select stand by on my computer and return to use it after a few minutes into work my computer would shut down using electric not battery on computer. The other problem is I noticed that on my desk top I would select properties and under display properties I selected screen saver under power I noticed all of my settings had been changed. I would change them and select save as and give a setting a new name. If I power off my computer and turn it back on. I would check again and all of the settings where changed to something different each time. They would change to different power settings. I have now noticed this is happening again even after I bought a larger hard drive and started all over on my computer from scratch. I ran trend micro virus software and immediately it found 12 adware propblems but only got rid of 7 couldn't figure out what happened to the other 5. This seems to happen a lot.

Edited by dkrypted, 09 April 2010 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:05 AM

Hi -
First run a CHK DSK - This will take about 30 mins and restart your computer - Log out of all other programs first -
Cut and paste this code into Start > Run box and click OK - It is a full 5 stage check that repairs most errors -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
After that install free versions of Malwarebytes from here or SUPERAntiSpyware from here, Then run a Quick Scan only -

Thank You - :thumbsup:

EDIT - If you still have problems please post back -

Edited by noknojon, 10 April 2010 - 03:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users