Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just plain SLOW!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TinkTheHustler

TinkTheHustler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:40 AM

I've run every scan I know of:

Superantispyware
ccleaner
Malwarebytes'
Auslogics registry cleaner
Auslogics Registry defrag
Dishwasher - steam cycle is next! lol

I am running this:

Processor & Memory
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
Physical memory: 1 GiB

Operating system
Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Version: 6.0.6002
Service pack: Service Pack 2

Devices
C: 64.91 GiB NTFS - 38.90 GiB free
D: 9.62 GiB NTFS - 2.55 GiB free
F: 7.46 GiB FAT32 - 3.46 GiB free

I'm assuming this computer can run faster. It sure did in the past. (How many times have you heard this story?)

I'd be happy to help you help me, in any way. If there is any other information I can give you, please ask. I have already done a HJT log, and will wait until you ask for it.

Regards,
Tink

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:31 AM

(How many times have you heard this story?)

More times than you would care to count...

I can understand your frustration. Vista is quite the pain.

Your processor is lacking, and your RAM is way too low to be running Vista. You should highly consider upgrading your RAM to no less than 2GB. Crucial is where I always buy my RAM. A Celeron running Vista is a joke to me. Yeah, it's running at 2GHz, but it's a single-core with a low FSB and L2 cache....which is fancy talk for a crappy processor. Couple that with low RAM on Vista, and you've got yourself some performance problems.

Please note: registry cleaners will not make your computer faster in any shape or fashion. They are the current "snake oil" of the internet.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

About the only thing you can do to squeeze anything resembling speed out of a computer running these specs and Vista is to disable all visual effects and limit your startup programs.

See here: Optimize Windows Vista for better performance

Your hardware is just not up to par for running Vista (the truth). No amount of "tweaking" will make it any faster.

If you want to regain some sanity, either put XP on it or buy a new computer (my opinion).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

We need to introduce you to Newegg.com keyboardNinja lol.

He's absolutely right though Tink. you really need 2 GB's of RAM for Vista and the Celeron 550 is a crippled single core processor comparable to a Pentium M processor. I know the specs from Microsoft say 1 GB of RAM, but as you have found out, while it will run Vista, it runs it very slowly. One thing you could do it look at what you have running everytime you start your computer and turn off the unneeded stuff. Here is a good guide on how to do that.

WHat anti virus are you using?

#4 TinkTheHustler

TinkTheHustler
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for the replies and thank you for that information for on the registry cleaners; minimal gain but catastrophic results may occur.

I have scoured and removed unessential programs from msconfig startup.

I have installed an 8Gig thumb drive in a 2.0 USB port, to help with RAM. Let me know if that's a fallacy too please.

I was using AVG 9.0 but have since deleted that and am using Microsoft Security Essentials. I removed the AVG because I was having a hard time getting updates (error code 0x80070002) but I'm working on that with Microsoft at this time; we'll see how that goes..lol. I may be hitting y'all up for the correct fix if they can't/won't help, if that's ok.

1)Would you mind if I posted my HJT log while I get ready to go buy some RAM and a processor?

2)And what processor would you suggest for my Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC?

Tink

ps,

I really appreciate the quick reply. I was pretty impressed to see that you two had answered so quickly.

Edited by TinkTheHustler, 09 April 2010 - 12:01 PM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

Your issues are related to your RAM, and your lack of free space on the other drives.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, we're like buzzards just circling around looking to pounce lol.

you don't post HJT logs in this section, you have to go here, (oh man, I hope that's the right place, if I got it wrong again Pandy's gonna scold me again :huh: .)

You really can't upgrade that laptop. They don't give you much room to do much with laptops in any case, and an older one like that won't be worth upgrading. You'd need a different motherboard to handle a more powerful processor. As cryptodan pointed out, your hard drives are rather small, and I'd bet the power supply wouldn't be up to powering newer hardware. I had an old notebook that my wife handed down to me for when I was on the road and had to turn articles in from the track, I hated using that thing and all I had on it was Vista and office. I practically had to boot it on a Wednesday if I wanted it to be up and running for a race on Saturday lol. Using your thumbdrive for the RAM is a good idea. I haven't had to do that since I have 8GB's of RAM in htis machine, but Microsoft built that option in just for that reason.

I wish I had better news for you, but really, you have what you have. There's not much more you can do to get it running faster. you COULD install windows 7 on the machine, it takes fewer resources to run than Vista, but in actuality, I would take the 100 or so bucks that Win7 would cost add a little more to it and buy a newer laptop with Win7 already on it.

Any of these would blow your machine away lol and they are the low end laptops on Newegg. WHile it's one of the best places to get computer PARTS, I don't know that Newegg is a great place to buy pre built computers, I just threw that up there because I have newegg on my toolbar. I'm sure you could find better deals from other places. I'm rather weak on laptops as I HATE them lol.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:29 PM

We need to introduce you to Newegg.com keyboardNinja lol.

I'm familiar with it. :huh:

Thank you for the replies and thank you for that information for on the registry cleaners; minimal gain but catastrophic results may occur.
Exactly.

I have scoured and removed unessential programs from msconfig startup.
That's good.

I have installed an 8Gig thumb drive in a 2.0 USB port, to help with RAM. Let me know if that's a fallacy too please.
They make ReadyBoost available for a reason, but it's just poorly synthesized RAM. You will not likely see any increase in performance. With specs like yours, it would be minimal at best.

I was using AVG 9.0 but have since deleted that and am using Microsoft Security Essentials. I removed the AVG because I was having a hard time getting updates (error code 0x80070002) but I'm working on that with Microsoft at this time; we'll see how that goes..lol. I may be hitting y'all up for the correct fix if they can't/won't help, if that's ok.
Personally, I would recommend Avast, but that is up to you.

1)Would you mind if I posted my HJT log while I get ready to go buy some RAM and a processor?
No, you should not post logs anywhere but the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs sub-forum. I don't think posting a log there will help you anyway. Your problem is hardware/OS related.

2)And what processor would you suggest for my Compaq Presario C700 Notebook PC?
Like DeathStalker said, even if you could, it isn't worth it. Your best option is to start looking for a new computer. Visit the Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer sub-forum for help with that, if that's what you decide to do. :huh:

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

Ah contraire my friend lol. I saved my scolding for future reference if I needed it. It says, (in part):

"We refer misplaced topics to the Am I Infected Forum and let the First Responders decide what to do with it from there. Please always post a link to a misplaced topic in the Tidiness topic. Thank you for your desire to help :)smile.gif "

I don't remember much, but I ALWAYS remember an ass chewing, no matter how gently applied.......... :huh:

Edited by DeathStalker, 09 April 2010 - 08:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users