Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google keeps redirecting me to ads after clicking search result

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaioshin Sama

Kaioshin Sama

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:15 AM

It almost seems like this is some sort of outbreak judging by the frequency and I'm hoping I'm not breaking any rules by posting another one of these, but the way I understand it a person is supposed to create their own help topic for their own particular case. Anyway I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and have run Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware and AVG 9.0 and only one thing came up that has now been deleted and so far I still keep getting redirected from google and even other links on occasion to random ads which frequently feature the same logo on my Opera browser which I'll post here:

Posted Image

The problem is recurring in Internet Explorer as well. This is my Malwarebytes log from the latest search in safe mode:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.45
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 3967

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

4/8/2010 3:41:02 PM
mbam-log-2010-04-08 (15-41-02).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|)
Objects scanned: 243875
Time elapsed: 38 minute(s), 31 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Graham Maddeaux\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\LRACF31L\setup[1].exe (Malware.Packer.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Hopefully we can all get to the bottom of this cause indeed it seems like a widespread problem.

Update:

Just thought this extra information might be helpful. I noticed a suspicious folder in my base C:\ directory called 32788R22FWJFW with the file called nircmd.cfxxe in it along with one called C:\Qoobox, but the latter may have been created when I tried to run combofix before reading that it should only be run after being recommended. I never went beyond the first yes/no question that popped up nor installed it though. Also I quickly opened the taskmanager as I was rebooting and noticed that there were three instances of a process called googleupdate.exe that ran and then vanished after the startup.

Edited by Kaioshin Sama, 09 April 2010 - 02:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaioshin Sama

Kaioshin Sama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:47 PM

The problem seems to have gotten a little worse today with a win32 process taking up an abnormal amount of resources and then closing on me. I'm also starting to get error messages from my browser with it then randomly closing down. Family members need to use the computer too so I'm hoping for help and a solution sooner rather than later otherwise I might just have to reformat or something for the quick fix.

#3 Tyshubrick

Tyshubrick

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

I have exactly the same icon in my redirected browsers. Let me know if you get some help because I'll need it too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users