Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera is now freeware

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:13 PM

Opera Software has announced that it is removing the banner ads and licensing fee from its browser. This removes one of the biggest complaints by people against its use.

Article: http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/artic...8191&cat_id=643

Try it, you might find that you like it better than what you are using now.

Download: http://www.opera.com/index.html

Edited by Ronbo, 20 September 2005 - 07:39 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:23 PM

I have never used it before. Is it the same thing as mozilla ? How is better than I/E, if it is ? Could someone please give some pros and cons ? Thanks.

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:41 PM

By all accounts I have read Opera is the safest and fastest browser out there. I have only been using it for a few weeks so I can not give you a full report on its features but it does include such features as tabbed browsing and the ability to start your browsing session from where you left off (ie: opens at start to the last web page you visited). I have found it to be faster than both Firefox and IE. It has somewhat of a learning curve to fully utilize its features (like any new software program you get) but so far I like what I see.

There is no harm in installing the browser and seeing for yourself whether you like it or not. I know a person gets attached to what they normally use and find it hard to change but if you give it some time you may find you like it. I have IE (of course), FF, MSN and the Opera browsers all installed. None of them are perfect, all have features that the others don't but the best way to decide on a browser is to try them for yourself and decide which you like best.

#4 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

Alright Rondo. I am sold.

But hey MSN browser ? That's not the same as I/E ? Hmm I had no knowledge of MSN browser.

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 01:57 PM

No it is not the same as IE, I have had an account with MSN since I first had a computer and the browser is part of that deal. They were my dial up provider and since my main email accounts are all MSN ones, I pay them 10 dollars a month to keep them rather than switch my email accounts somewhere else.

Edited by Ronbo, 20 September 2005 - 01:59 PM.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:08 PM

Hi KISNA,

Just remember that you must keep IE. No matter how many other browser's you install. It is an integral part of Window's operating systems.
Plus one can not check for and install Microsoft security updates without it.
O.K.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 20 September 2005 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:57 PM

I've been using Opera 8 as my default browser for about 6 months now. I like it because I didn't have to add a bunch of extensions to get the same effect that FF needs. I also believe that the universal browser does not exist. There are, fortunately, a plethora of browsers available. There's just about one for every taste. I personally use 4 different browsers depending on what tasks I'm performing. Here's one person's writings on the features and functionality of Opera 8, here: 30 Days to becoming an Opera 8 lover. Opera isn't for everyone, then again no one single browser is. Thank goodness for choices. Now that it's free, why not try it.

Be (Browser) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:35 PM

I think that is the smartest move the folks a Opera have done in a long time!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:43 PM

d/l'd it. Haven't used it yet. I have, however, used firefox though. Lemme ask you this. You know how, in I/E , you go to tools --> internet options --> clear history, delet files, delete cookies ? How do you do that if you exclussively use Firefox or in this case Opera ?

Edited by KISNA, 23 September 2005 - 04:44 PM.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:45 PM

Firefox
Tools / Options / Privacy
You can clear anything you want to here

Opera
Tools / Delete private data...
A box pops up, telling you, that if you proceed, you will clear your browsing history, close all pages, and stop all transfers in progress.
There will also be an Advanced>> button.
Click that button the first time you use this feature, and you can set what will be deleted when you click the Delete button
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users