Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 2.0 Flash Drive is slow and Freezes at the end

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymce

bobbymce

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:10 PM

Using Windows 7 64 2.0 USB Flash Drive. I have optimized it for "Better Performance." When the File Upload starts to the drive it speeds to 100-110mb/s then slows to a snails crawl for the remainder of the transfer, freezing at the very end for about a minute, then completes. Prior to optimizing I was seeing transfer rates of about 9-10mb/s which I thought was suppose to be slow for 2.0. I have even reformatted to NTSF thinking it would be faster but sadly it is not. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:02 AM

I have an mp3 player.

I find that file transfer rates to it (I've never clocked such) are much slower than a transfer to a hard drive. I've assumed that this is due to the USB bus and the type of device (input/output capability).

Louis

#3 bobbymce

bobbymce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

I have used both Sandisc and PNY with the same difficulty. Drivers are up to date. Downloads from Flash Drive to the Computer are very fast but like I said, the uploads are fast then slow then appear to lock. Interestingly before optimizing for faster performance, I would get rates of 10MB/s without slowing or lock up at the end.

#4 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

If you believe that the "Optimize for better performance" option is making things slower, why don't you go back and turn it off? In reality, it is simply turning write-caching on and off. With write-caching enabled, you need to make sure you properly eject the thumb drive to make sure all of the cached data gets written to the drive.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#5 bobbymce

bobbymce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Ya i am doing that right now but just trying to get to the bottom of actual speeds, why it would be locking up (anybody else experiencing this?) and why are my speeds only 5MB more on 2.0 as opposed to 1.0. By the way, anybody know or have a general idea bout what kind of times I should expect on a 1gig upload to the Flash Drive on average? Maybe I'm expecting too much.

EDIT: Removed redundant post :thumbsup: ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 09 April 2010 - 01:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users