Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU telling me hard drive is full...Impossible

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 slashjive

slashjive

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:49 PM

I am running Windows XP professional on a hp elitebook 6930p with a 150 gb hard drive. All my music, videos, documents, design files for school, basically the files that take up any signifigant amount of space is in 'my documents' and this folder is at 70 gb. I dont play games and dont have movies stored on my cpu, but I do burn them to dvd and and then delete then. About a month back I became infected with antivirus 2010 and other subsequent malware infections, and this is when I started getting warnings that my disk space was getting low. I have since used these forums to clean the problems, however my hard drive is still completely full. I have deleted all old restore points, cleared the system logs, checked disk for errors and defragged, but it has freed up no space. So, I am just wondering how I can get a breakdown of disk usage. Is there a program for that? I don't have a lot of programs or play games, so it is impossible for my hard drive to be full...Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

Download, and install Disk Space Reporter: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System...-Reporter.shtml

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

Try defragging it.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

Already mentioned, cryptodan. :thumbsup:

I have deleted all old restore points, cleared the system logs, checked disk for errors and defragged, ...........

SequoiaView will give you a visual representation of what files are taking up space, on your drive.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 slashjive

slashjive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

im trying to attach a screenshot of the disc report because it is saying i am only using 114 gb when properties on c drive is saying it is nearly full (150 gb capacity)...i just attached a pic in the malware forum, however i am not seeing the option on the add reply window. I want to know if I am reading it correctly.

Edited by slashjive, 09 April 2010 - 12:56 AM.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

Inserting An Image Within A Post
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 slashjive

slashjive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:19 AM

according to the breakdown, I am only using 108 gb out of the possible 150, yet when I check the properties on c drive, it says i am using 135...Im wondering why 27 gb are unaccounted for...

Posted Image

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

Couple of things...
In DSR switch the view from B(bytes) to GB and see what it says.
Secondly, DSR may not be reporting some stuff, like page file, for instance.
Then, the best way to see, how much space you have is really a right click on C, then "Properties".
DSR is designed more for investigating what is taking space, so you can move some files around, or out of your hard drive.
In any case, Windows needs 15% of a free space to operate correctly (22.5GB in your case).
Your "Documents and Settings" folder takes 85GB, so you definitely are able to move some stuff out of your C drive.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:11 AM

Am I the only one who sees the 3GB DrWatson logfile at the top?

#10 slashjive

slashjive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:33 AM

I have searched for the dr Watson log file and windows cannot locate it. Dsr says the dr Watson logfile is in a folder called application data in the documents and settings folder, but the folder isn't there. I have hidden folders turned on.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:53 AM

Your application data folder should be located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data

You say you have hidden folders turned on.
You also need to enable the viewing of protected system files:

Tools / Folder Options / View tab
Under Advanced Settings, remove the check from Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

#12 slashjive

slashjive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:32 PM

i have enabled the viewing of protected files, I still cannot locate the application data file, or the logfile, even when I perform a windows search.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users