Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to disable USB wifi modem installation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 safi

safi

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:27 PM

Hello,

Back in my office, we have this XP PC for the Accounting system that run without internet access.

My problem that, the user had plug in their own USB ASDL wifi modem to access the internet via the terminal.

Is there anyway that I can prevent such hardware installation.

Tq.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

Depends on the computer.

Dell and HP usually have bios settings, bios passwords and internal asset tags that can be locked down by the admin.
Turn off usb and ethernet/wireless devices in bios (unless you use them for something internally)

Software lockdowns on a standalone can be useful depending on the savvy of the user.They can be bypassed with a little googling usually unless you have an internal network that enforces group policies.

If they are using a modem via terminal in text mode, it sounds like they know more than you and should be made the network admin. :thumbsup:

#3 safi

safi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:11 AM

This is an Acer PC, I will look into it (BIOS setting) or even the ACER PC app management.

The users are not that savvy but the USB wifi modem is anywhere here. A chicky secretary know how to plug an USB wifi modem.

Insert to the usb port, the autorun will do the rest. Disable the autorun is not the answer here.

Tq.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

I have 2 solution's:

Step 1: tell chicky secretary not to use it again.

Step 2: she does it again fire here haha.

Step 3: find new more trust worthy secretary.

Now for the other solution,
is the computer on a domain if not it should be especially in a business environment if not then you could super glue all of the usb ports to prevent any unauthorized use of it being it is used for accounting.

Edited by computerxpds, 10 April 2010 - 06:39 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 safi

safi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

Tq,

:thumbsup:

#6 safi

safi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2010 - 10:11 PM

is by disable the "Wireless Zero Configuration" is the answer ????? :thumbsup:

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:41 AM

That could work but it is easy to start back up.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users