Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:00 PM

This never happened before, but it has happened twice today. I'm concerned that it's a symptom of impending doom.

The computer is an IBM ThinkCentre running Windows XP Home Edition SP3. I got it in 2003. It has a Pentium 4 CPU, 2.60 GHz. About 2 years ago I added a USB 2.0 card, swapped out the DVD and CD drives for two DVD drives, and brought it up to 1 GB of memory from 512MB.

The symptom is that the computer completely freezes -- the mouse and keyboard don't seem to be recognized, and the only way to recover is to hold the power button in for 5 seconds -- this turns the computer off. If I turn it right back on, it seems to work alright.

We have been having unusually hot weather up here, but the case and fan exhaust don't seem to be even warm, and it was hotter last summer, so I don't think it's overheating.

Does this symptom sound familiar to anyone?

Is there any test I can run to see if this is something that can be repaired?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

I would recomend running something like HWmonitor to monitor your temps and make sure nothings overheating.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

Thanks. I downloaded and ran HWmonitor. The report is pretty limited, and attached -- I'm not an expert, do these values look okay?

Thanks, again.

Attached Files

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:07 PM

That doesn't show much.
Try...

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:46 PM

Okay, I ran SpeedFan -- image attached.

The only processor info I have is: Pentium 4 CPU, 2.60 GHz.

Attached Files

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:14 AM

Still very unclear...

Download, and install Everest Ultimate Edition 4.6: http://www.lavalys.com:8081/everestultimate460.exe
Enter following registration code (Help>Enter product key) to make it fully functional:
RHGJE-54X47-HML9C-V498I-UUMVI
(it's all legal, the above version has been recently offered as a free download)
Expand Computer folder.
Click on Sensor.
Post all info from there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:21 AM

My Firefox won't connect to that page:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.lavalys.com:8081.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I checked their downloads archive page and that version isn't there.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

Try here: http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Download/122...edition-46.aspx

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

looks like either the motherboard doesnt have a CPU temp or the temp software isnt recognizing it, because speedfan and HWmonitor should of had a CPU temp. that temp 1, whatever it is, Im going to guess it may be the CPU, is a little hot, and under load that may be causing the problem. what we need to do, is find out if that temp 1 is the CPU or something else. Try that link Broni gave you and we shall go from there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Qwertyopz

Qwertyopz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:09 PM

hey man same thing happening to me i got windows xp 2005 media centre edition with intel 3.6 ghz. If u find out how to fix pleae tell me

EDIT: If you have a problem with your system...please start your own thread, providing specifics as to what the problem is, system, etc. Do not hijack this OP's thread ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 10 April 2010 - 04:37 PM.

#11 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:15 PM

No luck, Broni.

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.lavalys.com:8081.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

As far as the temperature readings go, I was wondering about that too, the_patriot09. This computer was built as a no-frills business computer, and I don't know if it has more than the bare minimum for sensors. I was also concerned about the reading for "temp 1" so I checked SpeedFan again as soon as I turned the computer on this morning. The (few) other temperatures look reasonable for a computer that's only been on for 4 minutes, but "temp 1" was reading 57C right from the start. I don't know if the sensor is malfunctioning or if it's been "tied" to a particular reading, but I don't think anything in there got that hot that fast and then stayed there.

Thanks for your continued help. Yesterday and today have been a few degrees cooler, but only a few, and there have been no more lock-ups. I'm still open to any suggestions you guys may have, but I may just open her up and look for dust bunnies. I also plan to look around to see if it has a spot for another fan, etc. For the moment I plan on updating my back-ups and hoping that it was the heat.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users