Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

warm swap vs hot swap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have ordered a desktop computer that has a pocket media drive slot. I am thinking about getting an HP 320GB pocket media drive. I read that it has warm swap capability. I don't quite get the difference in warm swap and hot swap. I googled it but am a bit confused. Some of what I read on warm swap said it usually referred to being able to remove devices from a laptop while in suspend mode. But the comptuer I am getting is not a laptop, so what does the warm swap mean?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

Hot Swap - Plug and play devices that dont need to be "Properly Removed" --you can just plug into USB and pull out USB without damage or data loss
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

Yes, but what is the difference in warm swap. The drive does not say hot swap it says warm swap. From what I read they are not exaclty the same and warm swap usualy applies to a laptop, but I dont' quite understand - and the computer I am getting is not a laptop. So, I don't know exactly what the warm swap means.

#4 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hot swapping is replacing components without significant interruption to the system, while hot plugging describes the addition of components that would expand the system without significant interruption to the operation of the system.

Warm Swapping - Term used to describe the method of swapping a device in a computer while the computer is in a suspend mode such as hibernate.

Basically hot swap=computer on/actively being used
warm swap=idling, no information transfer

Edited by s1lents0ul, 08 April 2010 - 08:26 PM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#5 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

So, since it says warm swap and not hot swap - I would need to put the computer maybe in standby before removing the drive?

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Not exactly, just make sure no data is being transfered to it. The best way to be completely sure your doing things the safe way is to just properly remove devices using the windows safely remove hardware option that shows up when u plug in devices.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 FayB

FayB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

ahh, ok.

Thanks!!!

#8 s1lents0ul