Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TV Tuner Question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

I have a Hauppauge HVR 950-Q TV Tuner for my Desktop. This is a link to what it looks like
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr950q.html

I am going to be subscribing to Comcast Cable here very soon. I called comcast, and asked if i "needed" a set top box. The Rep said, yes, only if i want to view the Expanded channel lineup (such as Discovery, History, A&E, etc). I could view local and network broadcast without the box.

Now, my question is am i able to use a set-top box with my TV Tuner? I have been doing surfing online, and i have not been able to find much of anything so far.

Also, being that the set-top box already has a tuner builit in, will this conflict with my PC TV Tuner?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Yes, you can.

I have an older Hauppauge card and have had several ATI All-in-Wonder cards.

You need the set-top box for everything that humans watch TV for. If you only want to pick up a couple of local channels, I suppose that you don't need it.

What I do...I have cable coming into the bedroom...I attach a splitter to that and run coax to my tuner card on my PC and run another coax to the set-top box (which connects to the TV). If you worry about degradation of signal strength, you can use one of those signal amplifiers sold at KMart, Walmart, etc. I have a couple of those but don't use them.

You can run the splitter from the set-top box...but I don't suggest that. All you get is two screens with the same channel. Your cable provider will give provide another box (if you want) for $3 a month here in TX.

Using two set-top boxes allows you to record from one while using the other for TV.

Once everything is properly setup and the card drivers have been installed, you are ready to go.

You can use the Hauppauge software for capture...or you can use any existing video-edit programs you may already have (Ulead/Corel Video Studio, Windows Movie Maker, etc.) to capture video. Whether you use it or not, I suggest that you set up the Hauppauge program (configuration purposes).

Note: If you try to record and there's no sound being recorded...check your volume icon on XP. The recording functions are probably not set up, with line-in elected.

The tuner in a set-top box is more of a decoder...that feeds signals into your TV in a manner that the TV understands. Without it, those signals would be just so much junk. There is no conflict possible between the two devices.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users