Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with scrollbar racing, can't stop page

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NewQuest

NewQuest

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 10:39 AM

Hi,

I'm frustrated by a problem with my scrollbar racing to the last cell or line in a page. This happens 4 or 5 times a week (3 times since last night). If I'm in Excel the page will either race to the last cell in the document or I can't scroll down at all. The same thing happens in long emails or in web pages. It doesn't seem to be application specific. Once it shows up in one application then all of my open apps will behave the same way. The only way to stop the problem is to shut down and restart. Needless to say this can be a big waste of time.

Don't know if this is a virus of some kind, although I doubt it, or something else. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

NewQuest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matty13

matty13

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 05:37 PM

If the problem was specific to Excel, I would try either doing an Office Repair or reinstalling Excel to see if that fixed the problem (Add/Remove programs in Control Panel).

I would not rule out a virus or some form of malware or spyware - defintely running a virus check and installing and using a spyware removal tool like Adaware or Spybot remover could not hurt. Some viruses actually do perform erratic functions with mouse pointers like the drunken mouse virus which makes the mouse go everywhere except where you want it to go.

The problem seems intermittent and viruses can act like that. Could be a key that is sticking on your keyboard - the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + End goes to the end of a document, page or screen straight away. Could be a fault in the keyboard? Perhaps the scroll function of the mouse is sticking. Try swapping these hardware items after checking out the software problems / causes.

In some cases, with a virus you need to boot into Safe Mode and uninstall / reinstall your antivirus (if you have to reboot during this, keep going into Safe Mode) and run a scan in Safe Mode. Some viruses are very capable of hiding from antivirus software and actually disable realtime protection (makes the software look like its working when in effect it is not working poroperly at all).

Try pressing Ctrl + Home to get back to the top and in the case of Excel or a document, save it, close it and see if the scrolling happens again.

Not sure if these suggestions help or spur on an idea.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:15 PM

Make sure the mouse cable is seated securely.
You can try updating the mouse driver.

#4 NewQuest

NewQuest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Matty and Enthusiast. I'll take a look at drivers and spyware and will post an update soon.

NewQuest

#5 WmHBlair

WmHBlair

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:14 PM

Please indicate what hardware, specifically, you are using. There have been, for example, problems like this reported for certain Dell systems with certain types of mice (sometimes dependent on what type of surface the mouse is on). I would never have believed it, until I experienced it myself! Anyway, there are various type of failures that have symptoms like the one you have reported, but in order to distinguish between software- and hardware-related problems, we'll need more information. I can sympathize, because I've had (what sounds like) the same problem, at least four times. My problem was solved in one instance by replacing the mouse (so that does not reveal whether it was the mouse, or its cable, that was bad). In another instance, basically all I did was uninstall Microsoft Intellisoft, letting Windows just use its built-in mouse driver. In a third instance, the problem was "solved" by getting a new mouse pad (e.g., optical USB mice seem to have odd problems on certain types of underlying surfaces). By the way, by "specifically" I mean very specifically which brand and model of mouse, and describe its physical characteristics (e.g., does it have a wheel?). And, it would be nice to know specifically which PC, since some have notoriously tight, or loose, mouse connectors.
WmHBlair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users