Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question re: guide to remove Security Tool

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CShirey

CShirey

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Hello,

The guide to remove Security Tool is great and pretty simple to follow. I ran into one problem though and not being familiar with the HOSTS file, I am unaware of what it is I need to do.

The user is instructed to download Hostsperm.bat and run it. After that is done, the HOSTS file needs to be deleted.
This is the path given: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\HOSTS.

I did both items above but I'm not sure I did them correctly. In the HOSTS file besides HOSTS, there are Imhosts.sam, networks, protocol and services which I did not delete; I left everything but HOSTS as it was.

Next, there is a link to click on for the Windows 7 Hosts File Download Link which didn't seem to do anything and when I looked back in the original file HOSTS wasn't there; just the remaining four items I mentioned.

What have I done wrong (this time? :thumbsup: )

Also, do I delete the hostsperm.bat from my desktop when I'm done???

A little over my head . . .

Thanks.
cs.

Ugggh! Forgot which computer I was working on and clicked on Windows XP HOSTS file link to complicate things.
Now what? :flowers:

Edited by CShirey, 08 April 2010 - 06:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hey I know you :thumbsup:
Lmhosts.sam =(LAN Manager Hosts) .sam =Sample file..
Is this the XP or a Win 7 machine.

First try a System restore to a few days ago and see if you have your Hosts file back.
We can't replace it till wea re sure of the OS
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users