Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Just joined, keep the applause down please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WmHBlair

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

I've found my way to this web site many times before, usually stumbling upon it directly via a Google search, or via a link at another web sites, such as BroadBand Reports (also known as DSL Reports). This time, however, I found it via a link from a page at the The Tech Guide which referred to a particularly valuable pair of downloads, WinPFind.zip and Trackqoo.zip.

Recognizing that I had been here before many times and that I always found valulable information, I took the time to look around, examining areas not directly related to what led me here. I found a community that appears to be unusually active and enjoys participation by a number of unusually well-informed people. Consequently, I have made the next step and signed up, adding it to my list of web sites that I will visit at least daily.

I have 40 years experience with computers, including 23 on "IBM" PCs and the Intel platform. I am a professional systems software program product developer, and was the founder of a software company that developed and marketed the first successful "micro to mainframe" communications software product (we called PCs "microcomputers" back then, because they literally were; of course, since then, they have surpassed in processing capacity even the largest mainframes then available). Thus, I have considerable programming and hardware technical expertise. But when it comes to PCs these days, I'm mostly just an expert user, and do only occasional programming in C, WSH, Perl, and a tiny bit of assembler. Since I build and/or install, and deploy, dozens of Windows (2000 and XP) systems a year, and administer a Novell NetWare and Windows 2000 Server network, I have considerable hands-on expertise in debugging the types of problems that are typically encountered by both naive end users and so-called self-professed experts. Mostly, my expertise consists of knowing how Windows works internally from system software development experience coupled with the ordinary ability to craft Google searches and take advantage of information on web sites such as this one.

I am humbled certainly by the breadth and sometimes by the depth of experience of many of the contributors in evidence here, but I hope to possibly return the favor by my own participation, helping out when something arises that I happen to recognize or is related to my own professional expertise (computer security, codes and encryption, systems performance measurement and management).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:39 PM

:thumbsup: to BC! WmHBlair.
Glad to have you aboard. Hope you can share some of your experiences with computers with us.

Good Luck,

#3 tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:45 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, WmHBlair.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:08 PM

Welcome to BC!
I have always thought the best thing about this place was the willingingness of its members to give some of their free time to helping others in this user community. I hope you will be able to make a contribution to this effort.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users