Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Problem

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Doug7623

Doug7623

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

Hi, I'm trying to help fix a friends laptop. She had a rogue anti-spyware program on it. I got that removed without any problems by following directions on this site and I did it once before on a different computer. I don't think this has anything to do with the current problems, but I wanted to let you know just in case. The problem is a few updates for windows won't load. It keeps giving an error. The updates are: (KB971644), (977165), and (979306). The error codes are: 8007371B, 800736B3.''
Thanks, Doug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

Read this KB and see if it helps.

#3 Doug7623

Doug7623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

That doesn't help. I get the same error code:8007371B. Other things I've done is disable anti-virus, firewall. I made sure that windows update and microsoft updated was listed in the trusted sites on internet options.

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

I found this technet article regarding KB 977165 errors, but it doesn't specifically adress your 8007371B or 800736b3.

Did your friend upgarde versions of Vista (or upgrade from XP) or was this a clean install? Have you run a system file check? Whether it's a clean install or an upgrade, do you have the Vista installation discs or did the OS come pre installed on a factory built computer?

EDIT: Sorry for the delaybetween responses, I got summoned last night by "She Who Must Be Obeyed" lol.

Edited by DeathStalker, 09 April 2010 - 08:11 AM.

#5 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

See if these help:
Tool To Repair Windows Updates errors in Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

#6 Doug7623

Doug7623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

I already saw that microsoft page and the other link wants me to pay $50 to fix it and there's no guarantee that it will fix the problem. I don't want to go that route because I could take it in and have it fixed for less than that. Maybe I'll be better off to do the email to microsoft support and wait for their response??? I was just hoping that someone on this forum would be able to help with this since I've gotten so much help in the past by just reading posts on this website without ever actually posting anything. Thanks everyone for your time, I do appreciate.

#7 Doug7623

Doug7623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

Deathstalker, I forgot to answer your questions. No, this is not an upgrade. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1525 and it came with Vista.

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:44 PM

Ok, so don't give up yet. There are other things to try. Let me know if you are still with me.

EDIT: Oh and I didn't look at his first link well enough. There is a free link for that KB mentioned in the first link. Does she have SP2 installed? Also one of those error messages was for an windows upgrade, that's why I asked.

Edited by DeathStalker, 09 April 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#9 Doug7623

Doug7623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

Yup, I''m still with you. Yes, SP2 is installed and the laptop came with SP1. Looking at the update history, there are other updates that didn't install in the past also. My friend did give me all the original discs that came with this computer too if that helps. Thanks so much for your time.

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:09 PM

It's tough for me to know exactly what Dell gives with a computer. My wife works for a large University and they get their computers from Dell. She ordered my last computer through them (the university). I got discs along with it, but from reading what others post I think that they give their commercial customers different discs than they give their retail customers. Mine was called an Omniplex or Optiplex, I forget, where the retail version would be called a Dimension or Inspiron (for the laptops) for instance. I never figured out the difference lol except one is for customers who buy thousands of computers and one is for those who buy one. Anyway, the recovery options seem to be different. But to get to the point:

Pop the Vista disc they gave your friend into the disc drive and reboot the computer. (It SHOULD be defaulted to boot from Disc, if it's not let me know and I'll tell you how to do that). See if it gives you an option to do a repair install. The link shows you how to do it. If it doesn't let you do that, let me know. This is just one of the first things we are going to try if you have the patience.

#11 Doug7623

Doug7623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:15 PM

Thanks Deathstalker, I'm going to try that now and I'll let you know.

#12 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

I'll be here for a while. I mainly replied so when I check back if I see your name as the last post, not mine, i know you have finished and need more help or we got you fixed. :huh:

Edited by DeathStalker, 09 April 2010 - 08:48 PM.

#13 Doug7623

Doug7623
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

The DVD is a reinstallation disc so it doesn't give the repair option. I tried several different ways and it doesn't give me a repair option. Don't want to erase what's on the computer, so I didn't go any farther.

#14 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

Ok, it's a recovery disc, not an installation disc. Give me a few minutes. The first KB you list as not installing, KB971644, I think is really unimportant. Mowgreen, whom I have seen on the MS forums as an "expert" giving out advise in the update section (and although I have not verified that it is the same person, there is a Mowgreen here on BC as a malware fighter) said the following on another forum:

"FWIW, this is an *optional* update and " the Platform Update for Windows
Vista are collections of runtime libraries that make it easy for
developers to target a wider customer base. "

Since there's no adequate explanation of *why* installing this update is
to * your benefit *, I'd recommend Hiding and forgetting it."

I'd go with that on the first one.
Update before I hit enter...... <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0a0192c5-5a17-4a1b-8324-768c77f93e14&displaylang=en" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">KB 979306
</a> looks pretty unimportant as well, I think you can hide it as well.

The last one I linked you to a help article. Did you click the link and read it? It said in part:

How to obtain help and support for this security update
For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/intern...l.aspx?rdpath=4 (http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4)

I'd say call the number and see what they do for you.

I hope this doesn't sound like a cop out, but I missed some of this stuff the first time I researched it. If you DO call the 1-866-PCSSAFETY number, could you report back on what they tell you? I have to split now and won't be back until tomorrow, probaly late tomorrow afternoon.

If none of the above works, I have a "sneaky" option to try as a last resort. But I think you'd be safe to hide the first two and call on the third. Actually, I'd call on the third and hide the other two if that doesn't get rid of them.

EDIT: Sorry it took me so long. I type slow and sometimes research things slower.......

Edited by DeathStalker, 09 April 2010 - 09:59 PM.

#15 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

See if these help:
Tool To Repair Windows Updates errors in Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

I already saw that microsoft page and the other link wants me to pay $50 to fix it and there's no guarantee that it will fix the problem. I don't want to go that route because I could take it in and have it fixed for less than that. Maybe I'll be better off to do the email to microsoft support and wait for their response??? I was just hoping that someone on this forum would be able to help with this since I've gotten so much help in the past by just reading posts on this website without ever actually posting anything. Thanks everyone for your time, I do appreciate.

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding on my earlier post. Link provided as information only, not suggesting the purchase of any tool that may be advertised there. The article details how to use the free Microsoft tool CheckSUR which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users