Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the correct way to type/write things?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 AmyR

AmyR

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 04:19 PM

Hi Everyone,
How are you all doing? I get so confused at times with what is the correct ways to write/type things out.
Like how many of certain characters and punctuations we need to put.
For example, in the address bar it will begin with maybe having one slash between com and loader
http://mci2.webkinz.com/loader4.php?go=loa...;aol=0&fs=0
But then later on, it will have even more slashes, like this
http://mci2.webkinz.com///loader4.php?go=l...;aol=0&fs=0
So, as you can see it keeps changing, and sometimes will have even more than 3 slashes, just keeps changing.

The other thing I keep getting confused about is extensions. I thought extensions come after the period .
But sometimes I keep seeing like for the css extension, I would think it would be typed like this .css
but sometimes I see it like this /css
So, with a slash before it, and same with the html extension. Some people seem to be putting a slash before the html.

I also sometimes not sure what parts are considered a tag or not. Like some people have things typed as if they were an attribute.
See, I thought that the very first thing you have typed after the(meaning to the right of) <
is considered the tag. But some people keep referring to it as an attribute. They say the style attribute.
but they have <style>
To be an attribute I would have thought like this <p style="italics">
Here are the things that I have read:
"Attributes are always specified in the start tag"
"Attributes come in name/value pairs like: name="value" "

See, I understand that the angle brackets means it's a tag. But then the other thing that sometimes gets confusing is some people put like the email address in between the brackets. I already know though that my email address does not have any brackets in them. If I did do it that way, would cause an error.
The other thing is the software I use, seems to already do pretty much all the codes, or what I thought was maybe the codes. All I do is type the words and sentences of the document, with the correct punctuations. Like periods at the end of sentences, and question marks at the end of a question, and other things. The only reasons I see to sometimes type those greater than and less than brackets that I keep seeing would be if you are writing a page about math or algebra.

Oh and about the only other thing is sometimes when I try to type. It's like my software messes up and when I hit the enter key, it goes down more than 1 line, and I'm not exactly sure where to change that setting at. Don't see the options that I thought should be there.

Thanks,
Amy

Edited by Andrew, 13 April 2010 - 10:16 PM.
Mod Edit: Moved to more appropriate forum - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hello Amy.

A web site address can contain any number of slashes and dots and ampersands as it likes. Its not in your control. Its the web site host and web site developer, who make it look that way. Imagine the addresses of houses. Is there any hard and fast rule in street addresses? Address in UK look strange to me, look at their ZIP(PIN) codes. Same goes for the web site addresses. You have to go with the flow.

style can be an attribute and tag both, depends on how you use it. If you do not use a separate CSS file then you can specifiy the style of all the objects inside the <style></style> tags between he <head></head> tags. For examples,
<html>
<head>
<style>
body{font-family:arial;font-size:1in;}
</style>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

But you can also specify style of an individual object using the style attribute. For example,
<p style="font-family:arial;font-size:16px;"></p>

If you do not know why or how an email address can be put inside the angle brackets then you need to learn little HTML :thumbsup:

If you software is messing up. You can tell us its name so that someone here may help you out, or use another program.

#3 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

Hello Amy.

A web site address can contain any number of slashes and dots and ampersands as it likes. Its not in your control. Its the web site host and web site developer, who make it look that way. Imagine the addresses of houses. Is there any hard and fast rule in street addresses? Address in UK look strange to me, look at their ZIP(PIN) codes. Same goes for the web site addresses. You have to go with the flow.

If you do not know why or how an email address can be put inside the angle brackets then you need to learn little HTML :thumbsup:

If you software is messing up. You can tell us its name so that someone here may help you out, or use another program.

Hi,
The problem is though that you need to have the correct url typed or when you try to go to a website, you will not be able to get there.
The other problem is that it keeps changing all the time, and we already know we have problems with spyware, viruses, and hacking problems.

This is related to my account, my site.
First, when I login, I type this http://mci2.webkinz.com/loader4.php?go=loa...;aol=0&fs=0
Then if I get logged out, later on it will keep changing as you can see. So, why is that? How many should I type to begin with? Do you see what I'm talking about? the slashes between the word com and loader4 the 1st one only has 1 slash, then this one has 3, sometimes 2, 4, 5, 6, will keeps changing.
http://mci2.webkinz.com///loader4.php?go=l...;aol=0&fs=0

Yes, I know html, that is not the problem.
My software already types those brackets around things.
<p>, <style>, etc..
I don't have to do it like I said. I only type the words and sentences of the paragraphs. And I choose the kind of fonts I want from the drop down list and the software automatically does the rest for me.
I can't type them anyways due to handicaps and all and having to hit more than 1 key at a time is something that causes pain for me.
I've already also talked to our ISP and they said no, don't type any brackets around my email address. If I do, it will cause an error.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

Hi Amy,
You do not have to type that address. Visit this page http://www.webkinz.com/us_en/ and click on Log In at the bottom.

If it shows more than one slash, then it is their (web designer's) programming problem. Most browsers treat more than one slash as a single slash so it works anyway.

I thought you were talking about putting an email address inside tags like <p>duck@mailinator.com</p> thus inside angle brackets. But I realize now you were talking about <duck@mailinator.com>. This will not work. But some email clients, use this format for displaying the email from and cc fields.

I re-read my post when you quoted it, I felt myself that it was rudeness. I am sorry if you felt the same way. I need to work on my language skills.

Please post any questions you want, the BleepingComputer community is ready to answer it :thumbsup:

Edit : Why do you not bookmark that login page, so you do not have to type it again and again.

Edited by Romeo29, 11 April 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#5 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hi Amy,
You do not have to type that address. Visit this page http://www.webkinz.com/us_en/ and click on Log In at the bottom.

If it shows more than one slash, then it is their (web designer's) programming problem. Most browsers treat more than one slash as a single slash so it works anyway.

I thought you were talking about putting an email address inside tags like <p>duck@mailinator.com</p> thus inside angle brackets. But I realize now you were talking about <duck@mailinator.com>. This will not work. But some email clients, use this format for displaying the email from and cc fields.

I re-read my post when you quoted it, I felt myself that it was rudeness. I am sorry if you felt the same way. I need to work on my language skills.

Please post any questions you want, the BleepingComputer community is ready to answer it :thumbsup:

Edit : Why do you not bookmark that login page, so you do not have to type it again and again.

Hi,
First, please don't feel bad about the way you worded things.
I even have that problem alot of times too. One of the biggest things I have problems with is how much information is considered too much or how much.

Ok, let me try and ask my question a different way.
I don't know what you are referring to when you say the slash is due to the web designer's programming problem. I don't know who you are talking about is the web designer.
What I'm talking about is that when I first login, it will have 1 slash between the word com and loader, then if I get kicked out or something weird happens, it keeps adding slashes between the word com and loader.

Other people who have accounts on the site do not have this problem.
We also have talked with Customer Support and they have also already clarified that there is a problem on our end somewhere.
All the stuff on this page, is stuff I put in my account. Nobody else but me put it there, and it also includes emails, and other things in the account too, I buy stuff using my credit card, their is money in my account that got there from me putting it there when I got the account.
The other thing too is that yes, there has been hackers on the site too and we keep also having problems with people hacking our computer and viruses, spyware etc..

I've got screen shots of where I go to get my email, edit/customize/design my webpage, and all the other functions that all of us do with our computers.
But now I can't seem to find where I need to go to upload them. I've seen the upload area before, but now it seems to be gone for some reason. Don't see any upload button anymore.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Hi Amy,

The multiple slash can be due to many possible programming bugs.

For example, when you log out etc the site does this (a possibility)
$home = "hxxp://mci2.webkinz.com/";
header($home . "/loader4.php");
The result would be 2 slahes before loader.php, like hxxp://mci2.webkinz.com//loader4.php

What exactly is going on, cannot be said without looking at the web site code.

I am sorry, I cannot really say anything about uploading section because I am not a member. But some links on site are not working. They are designing or modifying possibly.

Have a nice day :thumbsup:

Edited by Romeo29, 11 April 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#7 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

Hi,
Not sure if I know what you are talking about not being a member of what site? I thought you were a member on Bleeping Computer forums? That is what I'm talking about the uploading button so I can put a screen shot of what I am looking at.

Yes, I realize the slashes have to do with bugs, that is why I need to get them fixed.
No, this has to do with a site I created. Nobody else created this account or the stuff that is related to my account.
I choose the template, edit it, all that stuff you do when you create a web site.
This is why I'm trying to post screen shots so you can see what I am talking about. This account also has other stuff such as my emails, address book, etc.. in it. The only reason things are in the account is whenever I buy something with my credit card, it then goes into 'my' account. Not anyone else account or computers. So no, this is not

I have already talked with Customer Support and this is an issue on my end. Nobody else is having this problem. It is not a problem on their end. They say it's on my end.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi Amy,

You can upload pics on www.tinypic.com. After uploading you will get 3-4 types of links, copy-paste the link that starts with [IMG]
It will automatically show image in this forum.

#9 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

I just thought of a good question too.
One thing that gets really confusing for all my accounts too is that as you can see sites like the tinypic ask for your email address and then a password.
For that email address that I used to sign up for the site, there is a password I have for my email, which of course is different password than I have for the account on the sites that ask for an email address for the login/username.

I'm beginning to wonder if that could also be why I get locked out of so many of my accounts. Not sure, since it seems the computer is remembering everything I previously entered in. So, when I type my email address the password and everything else that things ask for the first time automatically gets filled back into the rest of the boxes.

#10 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:59 PM

Ok, here they are.
The 1st one as you can see is the area I go to do my Privacy Settings.
The 2nd one as you can see is a section that leads to other things when I click on things. That Preferences button in the 2nd one is actually a way of getting to the Privacy settings you are seeing in the 1st image I put.
The 3rd I've got so you can see this is where I can go to Design, Customize, edit anything on my pages.
Yes, I know it says Muffin's Page in the banner. That is the name I typed in for my pet(which I've got so many other pets too, this is just 1 of them). Nobody else had anything to do with that.
I love to create things so this is why as you can see this is alot of fun for me. I also have way more other things I have with my account. I have rooms I've created for all my pets and all. Of course it's all comes from money that is in my account. That is how I buy anything I need/want to put in my rooms with the money that is in my account. That my stuff tab at the top is actually one way of getting to things that I put in my rooms.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Another thing I just thought of that would be a good way of explaining how this has really nothing to do with bad programming on their end is because see after we buy our pet from whatever store we got it from, we come home and enter in the code that came with the pet. If that code doesn't work, they say to take it back to the store you got it from.
Which the other thing too is alot of these pets are hard to find in the first place, and of course alot of them are now retired too, so very rare ones. Which actually there are tons of other sites and forums for those of us who enjoy using Webkinz. Some people have actually accidentally washed their tag with the code, and no way to even replace it because their are also certain colors of different pets too, and the color this one person got it was the last one from where they got it from.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:54 AM

Hi Amy,

I see you enjoy Webkinz very much :thumbsup: Looks nice :flowers:

You are designing your page, without actually programming the underlying code. Only the web site administrator can code the web site. You can design your home page without changing the code.

Its like you can set desktop wallpaper, themes etc in Microsoft Windows. But you cannot really program the underlying code of Windows. Only Microsoft programmers can do it. May be its a bad analogy, but I cannot think of anything else.

This is why I said, its an internal coding problem, on their side.

About the email address/password sites. A browser stores login information based on the web site address. Like username and password you entered on tinypic.com, will be used on this address (tinypic.com) only. So there is no chance of it being used on web mail sites like msn, yahoo or gmail.

I hope I helped you understand :trumpet:

#12 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

Yes, I know about codes for websites.
I've taken all the computer classes on how to do this, so this is how I understand all of this.

We have already verified that this is not a problem on their end. I am the Administrator.
This is what I keep trying to explain.

I've already talked with them and I am the only one having this problem. This is how we know it is not a problem on their end. They tell me I need to fix it on my end.

#13 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:48 PM

A few other things I just thought of that maybe helpful to know. The other problems I keep having too that which is how we know these problems lie on my end is here is one of the problems I keep having
This message keeps coming up:
"A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 10 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?"
Then I have to choose yes or no. If I choose no, so that I can keep doing things, it locks up, so I just hit yes, and then it shuts the whole computer down.

One of the other things that Webkinz Customer Support said for me to do is if I have a router I need to make sure http port 80 is open and ftp port 21 is open. If that doesn't work they say to contact our ISP about the problems I'm having and make sure my Modem settings are correct.

Another problem I keep having is I keep having messages about missing a required .dll files is one of the messages.

But anyways, like I said before, nobody else is having this problem. Another example would be like in order to record a tv show or a movie, you have to do several steps such as programming in the channel you want to record and the start and end times. If you do things incorrect of course things wont work right. Of course I guess if the vcr/dvd recorder is broken that could be the problem and you would have to get a new one. But then of course one of the things you always have to check, is if you accidently put in the wrong start and end time and if you accidently put in the wrong channel numbers too. Also, if you don't put a DVD in the disc drive or a vcr tape in the machine then that would cause a problems too.
So, yes, alot of things to determine what is causing the problem.

This is also why I also keep trying to explain we keep having problems with hacking, viruses, spyware, all that stuff.
Also, when I look under the User Accounts information on my computer, it says Administrator for my account. Why does it say this if I am not the Administrator for my account?
Also, I have functions to delete, create and rename files, create, delete, rename folders/directories, so many things I can do with everything. So, if this is on their end, I don't understand why I am able to do all these things.

#14 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:12 PM

I think you are having a few misunderstandings.

1) All windows computers by default have an administrator account. The only way they would have any other accounts is if someone set up other accounts. The fact that you see an Administrator account means nothing, other than you are using the default account.

2) Customer support for Webkinz didn't help you much either. Port 80 is open by default, otherwise you would have no access to the Internet. Clearly that is not the case, or you would not have screen shots showing web content. I also can't see why you would need a port open for FTP. File transfer in the context of web pages is handled by the browser, which again runs on port 80, which you already know is open.

3) Here is a page from Adobe that deals with the error message that you are getting:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15512.html
It is often helpful to stick those error messages into a search engine and see what comes up.

4) If you are getting error messages about missing DLLs, then you need to actually write down what they are, because they really could be anything. You are probably running an older version of Windows. I don't see anywhere that you say what version you are running, so I can't say for sure. That problem could be as simple as requiring an update.

5) You originally asked about periods and slashes in URLs. A period indicates a file extension. A slash indicates a folder.

6) The addition of slashes, periods, and other characters being added to a url indicate nothing more that traversing the structure of a website. URLS can contain all kinds of information that is relevant only to the server.

7) I don't see anything in what you have described that indicates a hacked or infected computer. Why do you think you have a problem?

8) Use one thread per problem please. You have actually discussed a few problems here, and it is very difficult to keep everything straight.

#15 AmyR

AmyR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Please, I will try my best to answer the questions as best as I can and know how to.

I think you are having a few misunderstandings.

1) All windows computers by default have an administrator account. The only way they would have any other accounts is if someone set up other accounts. The fact that you see an Administrator account means nothing, other than you are using the default account.

Yes, this is why I do not understand why some people try to tell me that this account has to do with what a website has done. I created the account. That is why I have a user name and a password for all the accounts.

2) Customer support for Webkinz didn't help you much either. Port 80 is open by default, otherwise you would have no access to the Internet. Clearly that is not the case, or you would not have screen shots showing web content. I also can't see why you would need a port open for FTP. File transfer in the context of web pages is handled by the browser, which again runs on port 80, which you already know is open.

They were trying to help with things in my account not working properly. Not being able to get into certain sections of my account.

3) Here is a page from Adobe that deals with the error message that you are getting:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15512.html
It is often helpful to stick those error messages into a search engine and see what comes up.

4) If you are getting error messages about missing DLLs, then you need to actually write down what they are, because they really could be anything. You are probably running an older version of Windows. I don't see anywhere that you say what version you are running, so I can't say for sure. That problem could be as simple as requiring an update.

Windows XP.

5) You originally asked about periods and slashes in URLs. A period indicates a file extension. A slash indicates a folder.

Ok, to make sure I understand what you are talking about. If a period indicated a file extension, then I see that you have a period before the word adobe. So, is adobe a file extension? I also notice there is 2 slash before the letters cps. So, is cps the name of the folder? and the 155 I also see there?
And on bleeping computer,
it says
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com
But see, there is 2 slashes before the letters www,
So, is www the folder? But then there is a period the www, and before the word bleepingcomputer, and also before the com
So, if I understand, then those are the extensions?

I thought I understood somewhat what a folder is, but then sometimes, maybe I don't. For example, I know how to create a folder. I go to create new folder, then I give that folder a name.

6) The addition of slashes, periods, and other characters being added to a url indicate nothing more that traversing the structure of a website. URLS can contain all kinds of information that is relevant only to the server.

7) I don't see anything in what you have described that indicates a hacked or infected computer. Why do you think you have a problem?

Because my credit card was recently charged when I was trying to renew my Classmates membership.
Also, because of all the repairmen and my brother in law. When they scanned the computer, the scans came up finding the viruses, spyware, all those things.
Also, I keep getting locked out of so many of my accounts too over all these years too is the other thing. When I type my password, it says it is wrong, even though it is not. Then when I try to reset it, the other information does not match either.

With all my handicaps and disabilities I have, everyone in my family has to help me out in life. So, they keep track of all this information. So, we know that the password and all is not wrong. It is written down in front of them.
They helped me set up all my accounts I have everywhere. So, this is the other way we know that this is not in any relation to an account that someone(a website) outside of the family setup/created.

8) Use one thread per problem please. You have actually discussed a few problems here, and it is very difficult to keep everything straight.

Another thing I would like to mention real quick. I can't remember if I mentioned it in my other posts. I have always had a learning disability with Vocabulary words all my life. This is what affects me the worse with everything in life.
I do not know the word 'traversing'
and I've just now went to look it up. This makes absolutely no sense to me when I look up the definition, it talks about Architecture. Such as a house, a bridge, a structure.
Which is why this is even more confusing. What does this have to do with making a web page?
I didn't think I was building a house or any other buildings.
I'm just typing things onto a page, using the keys on the keyboard.
I save the file into the folder that I created first, so that I have somewhere to save the file.
If I don't create the folder first, then I have absolutely no place to put the file. It would just be scattered in weird locations all with other people in the family who use the computer. Will be with all their files.

Edited by AmyR, 14 April 2010 - 05:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users